Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cookbook Recipe: Dillas from "Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food"

Hello everyone, and happy 6th day of the Vegan Month of Food!  Today I'm finally posting about a recipe that is not my own!  Over a month ago, I decided that I needed to start trying recipes from the numerous vegan cookbooks that I've begun accumulating, and the one I chose for my experiment was the "Dilla" from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson.  

I only made two dillas (the recipe says it makes four, but I adjusted some measurements) and I used the hummus mix from Fantastic Foods (as mentioned in yesterday's post, instead of following her recipe for hummus, also in the book).  If you are someone who follows measurements exactly, I'd pick up the cookbook for the recipe, but the basic ingredients are:  Hummus, cilantro, flour tortillas, tomato, red onion, baby spinach, and canola oil. 

Dillas

No queso in these dillas  :)

Mix together the hummus and chopped cilantro, spread onto one side of the tortilla, then add the chopped tomato, red onion, and baby spinach.  

Like so...

Fold and then brown each side in the frying pan.  Serve and enjoy!  (I've sometimes added corn tortilla chips and salsa to the side as well.)

YUM!

They weren't too hard to set up and the prep time was worth it.  The only difficulty I had was in flipping them, but I didn't mind if they didn't look perfect.  They were extremely filling, and I was actually only able to eat one of them, putting the second away as leftovers.  This is definitely a recipe I would make (and have made) again, and I look forward to trying out the other recipes in her cookbook.

I have some schoolwork to catch up on, as well as the never-ending feed of blogs, so I will leave you with yet another quote from "Quotes on Slavery":


Peace.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Those look good! I have that book but it sits unloved on my cookbook shelf...I hardly ever use it. I need to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, veganforthewin! I know, I have so many cookbooks just sitting around, waiting to be tried out. That's going to be a goal of mine during Vegan MoFo, to try out more recipes from this book and others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "quesadillas" with hummus instead of cheese! I usually just add salsa and green onions but this sounds even better. Will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Jenn! Salsa and green onions sound fun as well! :)

    ReplyDelete