Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Recipe: Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

Hello everyone, and happy 15th day of the Vegan Month of Food!  Today I'm finally getting around to sharing one of the recipes that I put together for that silly spaghetti squash.  So, the story first:  I have never cooked a spaghetti squash before; this was all new to me.  I tried cutting it open, halving it, but that knife just wouldn't cut, so I'd read about boiling the squash and figured I'd give that a try.  I boiled it for about half an hour, and after that, it had softened enough so that I could halve it.  I scooped out all the insides and set the seeds aside (for roasting later!) and stuffed the squash with a rice bake that I made.


Stuffed Spaghetti Squash


Recipe for rice stuffing (makes enough stuffing for 2 halves of squash, plus leftovers):
--1 cup minute rice
--1 cup tofu (cubed)
--1 T onion flakes
--2 tsp vegetable powder
--1 1/2 cup water
--1/4 tsp garlic salt
--1 small green pepper
--1 T Earth Balance
--1 cup shredded carrots


Bring water to a boil, add rice, tofu, onion flakes, vegetable powder, and garlic salt.  Lower heat, slice up green pepper and add to rice, along with Earth Balance and carrots.  Stir and let simmer until all water is nearly absorbed, and mixture is still moist.


Having prepared the spaghetti squash (boil 30 min, halve, scoop out "guts" (seeds and pulp), and scratch loose some "spaghetti" strands with a fork), add the rice stuffing to each half.  Prepare a baking dish with a vegetable oil spray, put in the two halves, and bake for around 10-15 min, until carrots have a nice crisp to them.  Serve and enjoy.


I'll have another recipe about the leftovers tomorrow; for now, I will leave you with a link to a Care2 article "The Importance of Being Vegan" by Angel Flinn.  Have a lovely day, everyone!

Peace.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment