Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Avocado Pasta

Hello on the 5th day of the Vegan Month of Food!  For dinner last night, I made some avocado pasta, using this 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta recipe from Oh She Glows.  My modifications included leaving out the lemon juice/lemon zest, using garlic salt instead of garlic cloves and salt, only using 1 T olive oil instead of 2, and only using a sprinkle of basil (along with the pepper) as a garnish.

Avocado Pasta

 

While the pasta (spaghetti) was boiling, I turned to the last of my two avocados.  


I figured why bother using a food processor when it was so easy to just mash up the first avocado with a fork for the guacamole the other day, so I did the same this time around.  Once it was all mashed up, I added about 1/2 tsp garlic salt and 1 T olive oil, and stirred it up well.  


Next, I strained the pasta and plopped it into the bowl, mixing it in well with the avocado sauce.  For my plate, I sprinkled a bit of basil and pepper on top of the pasta and dug in.  


Overall, I liked the way it came out.  It was definitely very filling, but I'm not used to such creamy textures with pasta.  My mom tried some of the pasta (without the basil and pepper, but with added garlic salt) and enjoyed it, so I'll probably make it again.  My dad was a bit skeptical of the green pasta, but he tried it anyway.


After dinner, I noticed a gigantic praying mantis outside the house.  I snapped some photos before my dad, Uncle Mark, Zach, and I headed out to play some disc golf.  Looking over these pictures now, I definitely think this was a zombie praying mantis.  O_O





At the disc golf course (9 holes), we did two rounds, and I finished last in both of them (+8 and +10), but that's really no surprise since I prefer to play for fun and am known to often give dramatic flourishes--instead of always focusing on accuracy--as I throw the disc, especially when I get closer to the basket.  It was a good time, though, and the course was pretty crowded by the time we headed out, probably because of how nice the weather was.  Yay for fall!  :)  

Uncle Mark and I talked a lot this morning about different healthy foods we like and had a good conversation about the many problems with milk, not just health-wise (the hormones in milk, lactose intolerance, etc.) but also the ethical/moral issues.  He says he wants to stop drinking milk, so I told him about all the different types of plant "milks" (soy, almond, coconut, rice, etc.) he can try in place of cow's milk.

And some cute pictures to bring this Friday post to a close...

Mr. Boogie being adventurous and curious...
...and posing for the camera.

Peace.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment