Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mushroom Vegetable Soup

Hello on the 17th day of the Vegan Month of Food!  Tonight's post is about a veganized version of my dad's beef vegetable soup.  My sister and I have veganized his recipe in the past (simply leaving out the beef), but this time I decided to add mushrooms, both because I still had more I needed to use up and because I figured that they would contribute a "meaty" texture to the mix.  I didn't have his recipe on hand, and had to scramble a bit (and half it), but it turned out alright.

Mushroom Vegetable Soup

  
Ingredients:
--4 cups of vegan "beef"-flavored broth
--1 cup elbow noodles
--1 can corn, drained
--1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
--mushrooms 
--spaghetti sauce 


Bring the broth to a boil, add the elbow noodles, lower heat to medium.  Add the corn and mixed vegetables.  Eventually bring to medium-low to simmer.  Chop up mushrooms (I used 2, but I'm not sure what that came out to, measurement-wise, maybe about 1/2-3/4 cup worth?) and add to the soup.  Finally, add about 6 T spaghetti sauce.  Simmer for a little while longer, and then serve with rolls or crackers.


I enjoyed it, but the soup tasted different (from the vegan versions we've made before).  Next time I'll make sure to dig out the recipe beforehand, and to make sure that I have a can of mixed soup vegetables on hand so I don't have to make do with corn and frozen mixed vegetables.  Also, adding the mushrooms was an interesting experiment, but it might not be one that I repeat for some time, as I didn't really enjoy the texture/taste.  So, all in all, it worked, but I wasn't thrilled with it, so I might still label this as a recipe fail.  Ah well, that's what experimenting is all about.  

And now some photos of cat-acrobatics...


...also known as the cat-pretzel.


Peace.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment