Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

April and Andy's Frisbee Chili

Hello on the 24th day of the Vegan Month of Food, and day three of my Parks and Recreation theme week!

April and Andy's Frisbee Chili


In "Jerry's Painting" (season 3, episode 11), April and Andy have recently lost their roommate Burly. Ben had been staying at a Pawnee motel, but once it gets bedbugs, he starts looking for a new place to stay. April and Andy agree to take him in as their new roommate (and tell him the rent is much more than it actually is). When Ben moves in, the place is a mess; the next morning, he sees April and Andy using Frisbees as plates and sharing a single fork, passing it back and forth in between bites.


Ben: I'm sorry, are you eating turkey chili off of a Frisbee?
Andy: (laughs) Yeah, it's pretty cute, right?
Ben: No... Do you know what "cute" means?
April: What have you got against turkey chili for breakfast?
Ben: What have you guys got against washing dishes?
April: We don't have any dishes, OK? Burly took them all when he left. Now I bet you feel like a jerk.


Ingredients:
--1 plum tomato, chopped
--1/3 yellow onion, chopped (and briefly sautéed)
--8 heaping spoonfuls tomato sauce
--cumin
--oregano

steamy :)

Spray a pan with cooking spray, heat on medium. Add the Smart Ground, stirring and breaking it up. After 5 minutes, add the tomato and onion, stir. After another 5 minutes, add the tomato sauce, stirring again. Add a bit of cumin and oregano, then cover and turn heat to low. Stir and serve on a "Frisbee" after 5 minutes. (I didn't have any Frisbees lying around the apartment, and I'm not quite sure I'd want to eat on one anyway, so I just used a Tupperware plate that was a bit of a Frisbee look-alike.)


The Frisbee chili was good, but even though my simple version was likely more involved than how April and Andy prepared it, it still wasn't really much of a meal by itself. I have a fair amount of leftovers, and I plan to use them as additions to other meals (ex., burritos, pasta, etc.). All in all, it was fun, though!


Bonus quote from the episode (video clip here):

Ron: (introducing the art show) OK, everyone! Shut up! (claps once) And look at me. Welcome to “Visions of Nature.” This room has several paintings in it; some are big, some are small. People did them, and they are here now. I believe that after this is over, they'll be hung in government buildings. Why the government is involved in an art show is beyond me. I also think it's pointless for a human to paint scenes of nature when they can just go outside and stand in it. Anyway, please do not misinterpret the fact that I am talking right now as genuine interest in art and attempt to discuss it with me further. End of speech.

Here's a picture of Mystery and a box that caught her interest; she got shy once I took out my camera, though.


Peace. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment