Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dr. McDougall's Vegan Ramen Chicken Flavor

Hello on the 11th day of the Vegan Month of Food. Today I have a review of Dr. McDougall's Vegan Ramen Chicken Flavor. (I don't have vegan ramen often, but I decided to try this one out when it was on sale.)

Dr. McDougall's Vegan Ramen Chicken Flavor

 
It's simple to prepare.


Take the lid off and remove the flavor packet.


Empty flavor packet over noodles.


Add water to the fill line & stir.


Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove lid & stir. Enjoy once it has cooled off enough.


Thoughts: I enjoyed the taste and texture of the noodles (which were noted to be organic), and it was nice that there were some vegetables included in the flavor packet (corn, carrots, and tiny spinach flakes), but there definitely could have been more. If I were to make it again, I'll probably take the extra time to cook and add more vegetables myself. The broth's flavor was a bit different, not quite what I expected as "chicken flavor" but still good. The cup is labeled as containing 2 servings, but that's just silly to me; there's no way half of that cup would be filling enough. I had the whole cup, plus lentil chips and an apple as sides. However, it has significantly less sodium (and less fat) than the other vegan ramen I've had before, so even if you eat the whole 2 servings like I did, you're still consuming less sodium than if you'd had only one serving (half the packet) of the other.


Bottom line: It's a quick and easy meal, no washing up required other than the fork used to eat the noodles (I just sipped the broth right from the cup instead of using a spoon; I'm so classy). If you're looking for a vegan ramen, this seems to be an overall healthier (though pricier) option. 


Here is a silhouette of Mystery to bring today's post to its close.


Peace. :)

6 comments:

  1. Yum, ramen!! I haven't had ramen since my pre-vegetarian and pre-vegan days. It sounds like this one, with lower sodium, etc. is the way to go! I'll have to try to find it! Did you get it from a mainstream grocer? Or a specialty store? Unfortunately, I'm out in the burbs and my only specialty stores are a Trader Joe's (which I know too well...) and Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina! I found this at Giant, a grocery store out here on the East Coast. I haven't looked anywhere else...

      Delete
  2. I wonder if I could find these in Canada? They look like a great option for throwing into a purse for a quick lunch. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are great for a quick lunch! I'm not sure if they sell them in Canada, though; best of luck if you decide to search for them!

      Delete
  3. I've heard of this ramen but never seen it. Sounds like a good option for one of those "Do I really have to cook" moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that is one of the main reasons I'll get stuff like this, perfect for those "do I really have to cook" moments. :)

      Delete