Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Mozzarella Sticks

Hello on the 14th day of the Vegan Month of Food! Today I made my first-ever vegan mozzarella sticks, and it was quite the adventure. I based my recipe mainly off the VeganZombie's, which I found through this blog post on Food With Heart. I also checked out two recipes here and here.


Mozzarella Sticks

 

Ingredients:
--1 block of Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet mozzarella
--seasoned breadcrumbs + 1/2 tsp pepper (I used Edward & Sons Italian Herbs organic breadcrumbs)*
--soy milk
--flour
--canola oil

*if you don't use seasoned breadcrumbs, you'll want to include garlic powder, oregano, and salt in addition to the pepper


Prepare three bowls, one with soy milk, another with flour, and the third with seasoned breadcrumbs and pepper. Cut the mozzarella block into cheese sticks (I got 16 "fingers" out of it, and then 8 of them I halved for mozzarella "bites"). Dunk a cheese stick in the soy milk, then in the flour, dunk back in the soy milk, and then into the breadcrumbs, making sure to cover the cheese stick as thoroughly as possible. Set aside on plate. Repeat process for the remaining cheese sticks. Pour a couple inches of canola oil into a cooking pot and heat it up; drop a clump of breadcrumbs in to test when it is ready to fry. Using tongs, add three cheese sticks to the pot; remove when they have turned golden brown. Set on paper towels to absorb the excess grease. Repeat until all the cheese sticks have been fried. Serve the mozzarella sticks with sauce and enjoy!


Notes & thoughts: Near the end of the batch, I had some difficulty getting the cheese sticks fully coated, especially when the breadcrumbs started clumping together in the bowl. They looked and tasted pretty good, though in most of them, the cheese didn't melt much, so that was kinda disappointing. (Maybe I didn't let them fry long enough? But the ones I had in longest ended up with the cheese starting to melt out. I guess I just need to determine the perfect length of time to have them fry. More experimentation!) 


The next time I make these, I think I will add a bit more salt (the salt in the seasoned breadcrumbs wasn't enough for my tastes) and maybe try using a more melty cheese like Daiya. Overall, I'll call it a success, though, and I have plenty of leftovers to enjoy in the next couple days.


Tomorrow, be sure to check back in for the start of Nostalgia Week, which I will be kicking off by making my first-ever tofu scramble (vegan "scrambled eggs"). There will also be shiitake bacon. :)

Here is a snuggly sleepy Mystery saying goodnight.



Peace. :)

4 comments:

  1. When I first went vegan I missed cheese so much but now it doesn't even cross my mind until I saw these bad boys!I'm going to have to hunt down a melty vegan cheese to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine Trinity! I know what you mean; before I went vegan, I really started to enjoy mozzarella sticks. Then I went vegan, missed them a bit, and then never thought about them. But once I saw that blog post about vegan mozzarella sticks, I was intrigued and decided I should try to make some myself!
      Best of luck in your quest for a nice melty vegan cheese! :)

      Delete
  2. Mmm they look good. I'd like to gluten-free them and try it maybe. Do you think baking them might help it melt more? or melt too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lymie! If you make a gluten-free version, let me know how it turns out! Baking them might help it melt more, though possibly too much, so I'll just have to keep an eye on them if I try that next time. :)

      Delete