Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Decorating for Halloween

It felt strange not blogging yesterday, but at the same time, it was also nice to have a bit of a break. Well, it wasn't a complete break from the blog; as you may have noticed, I did do a bit of work on the layout and template to make it a bit more fall-appropriate.


Since yesterday was the first day of October, I felt that I could finally start decorating the apartment for Halloween. Here are some photos of our decorations this year. (Mystery enjoyed getting to inspect the ones she could reach.) 

Zach's scary pumpkin (lights up from the inside)

Plastic spider waiting at the top of the stairs; we take turns hiding him/moving him around during Halloween. I wonder where he'll be found next!

Mystery inspecting the plastic pumpkin...
 
This big pumpkin got hung on the door.

And this little pumpkin got hung on one of the kitchen cabinets.

Mystery inspecting the tubs that will hold vegan Halloween candy...

*sniff sniff*

"Where are the treats?"



This Halloween cat is technically supposed to be a placemat, but I think it'll look cooler on the wall, or maybe the window...
 
Another Halloween cat, holding a tea light.

I also made an adorable ghost decoration today; a couple weeks ago, I saw a photo on Facebook of this cute craft idea. I'll have more empty apple cider jugs by the time Halloween is here, so this little guy will get a few friends soon. (Zach loves apple cider, so once fall rolls around, we get a gallon of it each week with our groceries.)

Just draw on eyes and a mouth and color them in...

...cut out a flap in the back...
 
...and switch on a battery-operated tea light, slipping it into the jug.

Mystery was curious...

I'm planning to get some more tea lights for the others I'll make, hopefully ones that have a lighter-colored "flame," so that they will look more ghostly instead of orange and pumpkin-ish. Either way, it's pretty spooky-cute.

Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. I loooove Halloween so much! This year I want to get more festive because I never do anything as much as I love it. I like your DIY jug ghost. I bet my dogs would also be curious..or maybe scared. I also like the idea of the surprise spider. Makes me want to do that to Neal :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, luminousvegans; glad you like the little ghost & best of luck with getting festive! Hahaha, let me know how it goes if you incorporate the surprise spider into your Halloween! :)

      Delete
  2. All of your decorations look great! I especially love the halloween cat candle holder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Elyse! Yes, that one is probably my favorite! :)

      Delete
  3. Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday and has always been since I was a kid! So, I'm loving all of your decorations, Mystery the cat examining your decoration work, and of course the ghost craft at the end of your post! I really want to try it! I can buy a whole bunch of apple cider and then use the bottles for ghosts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! Halloween sure is great fun! :) I'm going to make my second little ghost today with another apple cider jug we've emptied! Let me know how it goes if you make some of your own ghosts!

      Delete
  4. Your cat decorations are adorable! You've inspired me to start some fall decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I hope your decorating goes well! :)

      Delete