Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Some Food Since Vegan MoFo, Book Recommendation

Hello everyone! For my third post this week, I thought I'd share photos of some of the food I've had since the end of Vegan MoFo, as well as give a book recommendation.

Spinach, Daiya cheese, and Lightlife pepperoni pizza




Peanut butter brown rice with peppers


Daiya frozen cheese pizza that I split with Zach (the instructions on the box called for it to be baked a) at way too high a temperature and b) for way too long a time; we took it out early). It was good, though the crust was really thin.




Brown rice with squash (yellow & green) and onions, also turmeric, cumin, salt, and I forget what else; I had this with shiitake bacon, but took the picture before it was done baking.


Plain "chicken" broth with rotini noodles and crackers (to help me get over a cold)


Baked beans with wild rice and broccoli


Ingredients:
2 cans beans (I used 1 can dark and 1 can light kidney beans)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp mustard
1/2 cup ketchup

Directions:
Mix brown sugar and mustard. Add half of mix on one can of beans in a baking dish. Add second can of beans and remaining mixture. Pour ketchup over and bake at 325°F for two hours (I usually stir it every half-hour). I think I'm going to start making these with less brown sugar because they seemed a bit too sweet to me.


To utilize some of the leftover baked beans, I made a quick burrito (baked beans, Daiya cheddar, sautéed onions, salsa).






In other news, if you are looking for a sweet story about an adorable cat, I'd recommend reading Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper, a book about a blind kitten she adopts.


It's a quick read with lots of short chapters and several photos; kinda wish it had been longer! I really enjoyed the funny and cute stories about Homer's various adventures, quirks, and interactions with others. (Note: I personally could have done without the "None So Blind" chapter where the author discussed meeting her future husband. To me, it just seemed to drag on; the only way it related to Homer was that he inspired her to "take the leap" and start dating this individual.) Now for the sad part, the only reason I heard of this book in the first place was that I saw an article about Homer having died at the age of 16 years old. In the book, however, he is very much alive and his story is one that I'll definitely remember. You can find the book here on Amazon.

Mystery, resting on the floor (she doesn't do this much, usually prefers to rest on the couch or bed)

Yesterday, I noticed Mystery just standing on the floor, in the sunlight coming through the window. She seemed hesitant to lie down but was enjoying the warmth of the sun, so I set a folded-up blanket on the floor beside her in case she wanted a little "bed." She climbed on top of it, climbed off, and then laid down next to it! I didn't get any pictures, unfortunately, but I'll definitely try to if she does it again.

Peace. :)

3 comments:

  1. Those pizzas look delicious!!! I'm battling a cold or sinus infection or something right now and the noodle soup is probably more up my alley, which is totally fine because that also looks good! I've eaten minestrone for my last three meals, so a change in soup is welcomed :) What kind/brand of "chicken" broth do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina; I hope you feel better soon! For this soup, I used the Massel Better Bouillon Chicken Style (I ordered it from Vegan Essentials).

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will check it out!!

      Delete