Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

NaNoWriMo, Turkey Sketches, and More!

Hello everyone! I'm currently in the midst of my fourth NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), wherein participants attempt to write 50,000 words in the month of November. I've been keeping myself on track (writing at least 1,667, if not a bit more, words per day). Yesterday, I passed the 10,000-word mark, so I am already a fifth of the way done (I still have to get my writing done for today, though; writing this post is a bit of procrastination on my end).


My story's still coming together, and I'm always hesitant to share what I am writing, but here goes: My story is about a girl (a senior in high school) who decides one day to leave home, setting off on foot for the city, determined to walk to her new life and never look back. Shortly after she leaves, however, her family's cat is attacked by some neighborhood boys. The girl learns that her parents intend to have the cat euthanized (disabled, the cat is now useless to her parents for the purpose of "pest control"), so she returns to rescue her friend, and the two continue the journey, together.

Also, in these days leading up to Thanksgiving, I have been doing sketches of turkeys, which I have been posting to Facebook, accompanied by some turkey facts. Each post ends with: "Respect turkeys. Go vegan." Here are the sketches I have done so far; all the quoted facts in the captions are from the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary.

"Turkeys like to eat breakfast and dinner together as a family. They have two main meal times, one mid-morning, the other mid-afternoon."
"Young turkeys under four weeks of age, known as poults, learn crucial survival skills and information from their mother, including what to eat, how to avoid predators, the geographical layout of the home range, and important social behaviors."
[sketch based off of this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/etaddei/5267958686/]
"Mother turkeys are fiercely protective of their young, and will risk their lives to save their babies. If she senses a threat, a mother turkey sounds a specific warning cry to her brood that means only one thing: run for cover. She may also attack, or pretend to be wounded to distract the predator from her offspring."
"Turkey hens are devoted mothers who care diligently for their young, with broods staying together for 4-5 months and male siblings maintaining a social bond for life."
[sketch based off of first photo from here: http://www.dennisgoulet.us/2009/08/turkey-and-poults/]
"Turkeys are sensitive, social individuals, and in conditions where they are permitted to thrive, they are seen for the complex, adaptive, and intelligent animals that they are."
[sketch based off of photo from here: http://www.ourhenhouse.org/2013/08/tilley-the-turkey-at-cedar-row-farm-sanctuary/]
"When trust has been established, turkeys love to be stroked, snuggled and petted for long periods of time. When receiving such affection, many turkeys make a sound that can only be described as 'purring.'"
[sketch based off of photo from here: http://www.woodstocksanctuary.org/learn-3/factory-farmed-animals/turkeys/]

I've also gotten my Thanksgiving decorations set up...







In the spirit of fall, I've made my pumpkin brownies. I didn't even use the full can of pumpkin this time, but they still turned out super mushy, so I cut them up as best I could and froze them. I've been enjoying one each night with my tea (just warm it up in the microwave for about 45 seconds). 


Also, as you may have noticed, my background design has been updated to reflect the lovely sights of fall!


Finally, here's a picture I took about a week ago of Mystery enjoying the sun; today she's grumpy because it's cloudy and rainy.


Peace. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment