Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Goals for 2014

Hello there! I hope you had a good start to the new year! In December, I clearly lapsed on my posting-once-a-week goal, but I'm bringing that goal back, and taking on a few others, for 2014.

Trying New Recipes: One of my goals is to cook more from my cookbooks:

Vegan Handbook (Vegetarian Resource Group)
The Cookbook for People Who Love Animals (Gentle World)
Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food (Alicia C. Simpson)
My collection cookbook, which contains tons of random recipes, some handwritten, copied down from who knows where, some clipped out from magazines, newspapers, etc.

I've rarely used these cookbooks; they pretty much just sit on a shelf together, wondering what their purpose in life is, so I'm going to try to pay more attention to them. I would like to get a greater variety in what I'm eating, and I know I'm sure to discover some new favorites in the process.

Reading More: I read a fair amount already, but I want to try to read even more this year, and I have a nice (nearly 2-ft tall) stack of books for 2014, and I'm sure more will be added along the way. I'm currently reading Catching Fire (The Hunger Games series) by Suzanne Collins. I saw the movie before reading it, and overall, I'm liking the book better, but there are a couple parts that I thought the movie handled better.


Self-publishing: Having completed my fourth NaNoWriMo this past November (as well as a Camp NaNoWriMo in April 2013), I feel it's kinda ridiculous that I haven't done anything with the stories I've written (other than just reading and editing them myself). I want to publish them, and I've been saying that for a while, but I keep procrastinating. My goal is to self-publish at least one of the stories. I think I might try my story about Mystery (the 30,000-word one I wrote during Camp NaNoWriMo) first, followed by my NaNoWriMo novel from either 2012 or 2013.

Other goals: I also want to work on exercising more, try meditating, and get back into the habit of walking every day (once it stops being so cold out).

Oh, and one more goal, thanks to Rachel at The Vegan Mishmash, is to submit my turkey sketches to 46millionturkeys.

Well, that's about all for now. I hope everyone's keeping warm; Mystery's strategy to stay extra warm and comfy is to cry until I lie down on the couch and let her curl up on my stomach. While she has me pinned down, I use the time to do some reading. 

"Chop, chop! Time to get more reading done!"

Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. Love Catching Fire! And Ive never heard of most of those cookbooks, Ill have to hunt them down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished reading it tonight; it was great! :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, completing NaNoWriMo should be another goal of mine this year. Two, going on three, years ago I completed it because it was our big assignment for my creative writing class and I'd love to do it again. Good luck with self publishing! I'd love to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great goal, Rachel! Best of luck to you! :) I'll be sure to give updates with how the process of self-publishing goes!

      Delete
  3. I've not heard of any of those cook books!
    I'm so pleased to hear you're going to self publish, I'm excited for you! Keep me posted :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine; will do! I haven't made much progress yet with my self-publishing goal, but I'm hoping to start focusing on it in earnest soon! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, indeed: https://twitter.com/JulieMokrzycki :)

      Delete