Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Agave-Glazed Carrots and Back-to-Basics Black Beans

Hello on the 3rd day of the Vegan Month of Food! Tonight I made two side dish recipes from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson. 

Served with the last of my leftover rice.

The agave-glazed carrots were nice and sweet, softened but still with enough of a crunch to them. This was my first time using agave, so yay for that! (I used a bit less agave & orange juice than the recipe called for.)

Agave-Glazed Carrots (carrots, agave nectar, cinnamon, canola oil, orange juice)

The black beans were good, but I noticed in my first bite an overpowering amount of pepper. The recipe called for what I thought would be way too much pepper for my liking, but instead of trusting my instincts like I did with the carrot recipe, I followed this one's measurements exactly. Next time for the pepper, I'll just do the whole “season-to-taste” bit instead. Even so, it was still good, and I enjoyed my added white onion. My main motivation with that was “let's see if I can use some of this up,” and it worked out nicely.

Back-to-Basics Black Beans (minced garlic cloves, chopped white onion*, canola oil, canned black beans, salt, pepper, water)
*my addition

Overall, another good meal, and now I know what changes to make next time.

 
More leftovers for lunch:

Boca chik'n patty on a Schär bun (lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup), corn, baked beans, potato salad

Over at the blog roll, I managed to make it to the blogs beginning with “F,” so slowly but surely I'll get to them all. There's so many fun themes and I've already begun bookmarking recipes to try later.

Buttons and Leela have been good today; here they are from earlier, guarding the hallway:



Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Julie I find agave pretty intense. To be used with reserve. But delicious. We use it in our chocolate mousse. Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the agave was quite sweet! I'll have to give it a try in chocolate mousse; thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Vegan MoFo to ya! LOVE the blog! LOVE the flavoring tips on these simple yet nutritious ingredients :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jennifer! Happy Vegan MoFo to you as well!

      Delete
  3. Both plates are so pretty! I love how the beans look purple. And the leftovers- yum! I just love when blogs include some pet photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the color; I think I am secretly going to call black beans "purple beans" from now on, haha! :)

      Delete
  4. First time using agave!? How cool! I feel like I got to share it with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it took me this long to finally try it! :)

      Delete