Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Amy's Vegetable Pot Pie

Hello on the 14th day of the Vegan Month of Food! Today begins my health food store vegan week, and my first lovely find is an Amy's vegetable pot pie.


This was the perfect meal for a lazy Sunday dinner because I just tossed it in the oven to cook while I tackled the overflowing-out-of-the-sink-and-across-the-counters pile of dirty dishes.


Funny story time: Oven directions are to cook at 400ºF for 25 min., then cover it with foil and cook for another 25 min. BUT: There's actually a “quick” oven version: Microwave it first and then cook it in the oven for 15 min. at 350ºF, but I didn't see those directions until after the fact... because they were included in the main oven directions and I didn't read all the way to the end before beginning to cook it. Does anyone else remember taking the “Can you follow directions?” test in grade school? (And/or are any of my readers teachers who have had their students take this test?) Bottom line, I clearly didn't learn my lesson then to “read everything carefully before doing anything,” lol.


When I pulled the pot pie out of the oven, it smelled so good! I was hoping to get it out of the little “tray” it came in, but as I tried to lift it out, the bottom stuck and would have gotten torn away, so I just left it in there. Along with the pot pie, I had another handful of cherry tomatoes from my parents' garden, yum! The pot pie is delicious, and while it looks small, it is super filling! I'll probably get it again because this is an ideal lazy day meal (though I will wait until it's on sale). Also, I'll likely end up using the “quick” oven version in the future, now that I know about it!


Here's our haul from today's trip to Kimberton Whole Foods, our health food store:

17 items, $63.40 total (minus Zach's soap and soda: 15 items, $52.39)

My breakfast today was more oatmeal, yum!


And my lunch was a peanut butter & jelly (specifically, strawberry & blackberry preserves) sandwich with chips on the side.


Buttons and Leela shared the bed last night while I was putting together my blog post. Here's a picture of them on the bed together before they fell asleep!


Peace. :)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I love pot pie. We don't have that here. Would have to make my own. What about the collecting of the photos for Pinterest? How does it work? Guess you are my mentor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely want to try making my own pot pie sometime! I don't actually know much about Pinterest. I think one of my photos/recipes of spaghetti squash got "pinned" by someone, but I've never put any of my photos there. If I learn anything about Pinterest, though, I will be sure to let you know! :)

      Delete
    2. Catherine, do you want to pin Julie's photo/s or your own?

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you posted this! I ate a lot of Amy's Pot Pies when I first moved away from home. I haven't had one for awhile though and forgot all about them. I am definitely going to look for them when I'm next at health food store. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elyse! They are pretty good, aren't they? :)

      Delete
    2. Yes! :) Amy's also makes a Pot Pie Pocket which is great for on the go.

      Delete
    3. Oooo, good to know, thanks! :D

      Delete
  3. The Amy's Vegan pot pie is one of my favorites for quick comfort food. I have to admit that I totally just microwave it for like 5 minutes and it seems fine. The crust may not have as awesome as a texture as when you cook it in the oven, but it doesn't make that big of a difference to me and I'm usually in a hurry when I eat one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, too, Heather! Yeah, I think microwaving it will be good enough for me in the future; as long as it's nice & warm, that's all that matters!

      Delete