Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Brown Rice and Orange-Sauce Veggies

Hello on the 8th day of the Vegan Month of Food! Tonight's dinner features more dollar store food (brown rice, frozen mixed vegetables, and orange preserves). 


I had planned to just do rice and veggies (more of the frozen veggies I'd used yesterday), with Bragg's Liquid Aminos to season (I've started using that instead of soy sauce recently), but then I remembered the orange preserves I'd also picked up at the dollar store, and that made me think of the Mandarin orange crispy chick'n from Gardein, so I figured maybe I could make a similar orange sauce for the veggies. At the end of the veggies sautéing, I mixed in a spoonful of orange preserves (which included actual pieces of orange!), some Bragg's, some lemon juice, and a light sprinkling of salt (maybe I should have thrown in some minced garlic, too?). It tasted similar enough to the sauce I'd had before, and it definitely gave the veggies a nice flavor; served with the rice, it was pretty good overall. 



P.S. This jar was SUPER hard to open... 


I tried several times, both with and without one of those lid gripper things, and it just wouldn't budge, plus the boxy shape made it awkward to grip... I was grumbling and growling and just about ready to give up when I tried again one last time, and pop! It opened! Hooray! And so ends the thrilling tale of Julie opening a jar of orange preserves. Hahaha!

Oh, and breakfast and lunch were leftovers, yum! 

French toast

Classic Cornbread and Down-Home Chili

Leela and Buttons have been getting better at hanging out together. Here they are playing with the yarn. 


And later, Buttons noticed that Leela still had some scrappins' in her food bowl, so she decided to lick the bowl clean for her, how considerate! 



Peace. :)

6 comments:

  1. Very cool and simple (except for opening the jar!) use of Dollar Store food! I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Glad to hear it! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man it is soooo frustrating when jars get 'stuck' and just won't open even with the grippy things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's like, come on, that's what the gripper things are designed to do & now they decide not to work?! Arrrgh! Well, just more opportunities to strengthen my vegan muscles, I guess, hahaha! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious. Dam those super tight jars! Forget the grippy things just use rubber gloves works every time ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! Huh, I'd never heard of using rubber gloves to open jars; that sounds like a really good idea! :)

      Delete