Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Burger, Fries, Veggies, and Spice

Hello on the 11th day of the Vegan Month of Food! Tonight's dinner bounces off from last night's, with the dollar store French fries and veggies making a grand return, accompanied by a third dollar store item, the salt free seasoning, which was used to spice up a bland Boca vegan patty (extra from the picnic). Additional items for the burger included a bread slice “bun” (extra from what was bought for the French toast), Daiya cheddar cheese slice (extra from the picnic) and the staples of ketchup and mustard.


So, here's how I made the burger: I thawed out the Boca patty and the butt-end of the loaf of bread. (I'm sorry, that's what I call the first/last slice of bread... Is there another name for it? OK, I just googled “what is the last slice of bread called” and I'm seeing “heel,” “crust,” and “end slice/piece/crust.” I think I'll stick with calling it a butt-end because I'm so mature & find it humorous! What do you call it, dear readers?) Next I heated the patty in the microwave and lightly toasted the bread. Then I folded/broke the bread in half, cut the patty in half, shook 1/4 teaspoon of the salt free seasoning on the inside of one of the bread halves, atop which I layered a half-patty, a folded piece of Daiya, another half-patty, and the other half of the bread. I heated it in the microwave just long enough to melt the Daiya, then added a bit of ketchup and mustard to the top half-patty. A work of art!


My first bite, I didn't notice the seasoning, but by the second, I noticed it, and it was spicy! This was definitely the best way I've had a Boca vegan burger; the salt free seasoning really does the trick; I'm glad that this was one of my dollar store finds.

Ingredients: Corn meal, oat bran, onion, spices, garlic, carrots, orange peel, tomato, parsley, citric acid, natural lemon oil.

But the burger wasn't the only thing to get spiced up this meal. I figured I needed to do a bit more with the fries this time, but I didn't want to have the salt free seasoning on two things in the same meal, so instead I sprinkled some chili powder, cumin, garlic, pepper, and salt atop the fries before they went in the oven. When I flipped them, I added a second round of spices, and put them back in the oven to finish crisping up. This turned out to be an awesome idea; they were much improved over yesterday's fries, so much so that they really didn't need any ketchup, but I still had a bit anyways.


And finally, the veggies were good, with a welcome plainness to balance out all the spices in the burger & fries. (P.S. The dollar store frozen veggies have now been used up; I ended up getting 4 servings out of the bag, which said it had “about 5” servings. Close enough, I guess.)


Lunch was based off of some leftover brown rice, and I had an extra can of black beans from my cookbook week, so I used the recipe from Tuesday and made a new batch, using up the last of my green pepper. I combined the rice & beans together in a burrito, which was served with tortilla chips and salsa.


Leela and Buttons were apparently a bit grumpy this morning and got into a minor scuffle with each other; I clearly took one minute too long getting downstairs to give them their breakfast and their tempers were short. Goobers. But the rest of the day, they got along well and even collaborated on their next performance piece, which seems to be the polar opposite of their “loaf kitties.”



Peace. :)

12 comments:

  1. My favorite way to eat fries is to season them before putting them in the oven. Yum. Those look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I'm definitely going to do this seasoning on my fries from now on; it was so good! :)

      Delete
  2. Hehe, I'm going to be calling it the butt end from now on! Also your kitties are SUPER adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm starting a trend, haha! Thanks, Jojo! :)

      Delete
  3. We always called it the heel but I like butt end. It's my favorite piece of the loaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy it, too! But it seems like it's the part of the bread that most people try to avoid eating. I'd like to think it has a special sort of character due to being so misunderstood. Haha! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the butt end as toast! Toasted butt end ha ha ha x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I like your term for the end slice of a loaf. Now that I think about it, we call it "kontje" in Dutch (among other terms) which also means "little butt"... It sounds terrible now that I type it out but my point is that "butt end" isn't all that weird! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's way too funny! Glad to know my term isn't as odd as I thought it was. :D

      Delete