Pages

Friday, September 5, 2014

Classic Cornbread and Down-Home Chili

Hello on the 5th day of the Vegan Month of Food! Tonight's dinner features two recipes from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food


I was excited about making the cornbread, and it was super simple to prepare. 

Classic Cornbread (canola oil, cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, white vinegar, soy milk)

I think I maybe should have left it in the oven a bit longer than the recipe said, though. I'll remember to do that next time. Regardless, it turned out nicely, and it was quite tasty partnered with the chili.

Down-Home Chili (canned kidney beans and pinto beans, drained and rinsed; diced tomatoes; water; cumin; paprika; chili powder; oregano; salt; pepper; onion powder; garlic powder; cayenne pepper; allspice)

I was a bit nervous with how many spices were going into the chili, but I diligently measured out each one (the only one I used less of was the chili powder because it just seemed like a lot more compared to the rest). After stirring everything together, I started to feel more optimistic, and sure enough, once the chili was done simmering, it smelled so good! By my first spoonful of chili, I knew this recipe was a success; it was quite flavorful without being too spicy. I was so glad tonight's dinner turned out well after last night's disappointing recipe. I'll be sure to use these two recipes again; they are definitely quick and easy, tasty and filling, with plenty of leftovers that I will enjoy over the next few days.


Speaking of leftovers, here was my leftovers lunch (smashed potatoes, garlic green beans, agave-glazed carrots).


Right now I'm at the “N” blogs in the blog roll, chugging right along... I've been finding so many new fun blogs; tomorrow I hope to put together a short list of some of the blogs and themes that have caught my attention. Also, tomorrow is the final day of my cookbook week, so stay tuned for that. Sunday will be the start of my dollar store vegan theme.

To close tonight's post, here are Buttons and Leela being “loaf kitties” to imitate the cornbread.




Peace. :)

12 comments:

  1. Cornbread and kitties?! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the chili and the cornbread are the focus but I think your lunch looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, my lunch was pretty good, too -- not bad at all for leftovers! :)

      Delete
  3. Adorable kitties! And love the colourful chili. And cornbread kitties!!! Also the cornbread looks pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chilli looks divine, I've never tried corn bread - I think I'm missing out! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! I think this actually may have been my first time having cornbread; it was so good! :)

      Delete
  5. I've mostly been using Randomofo to find new blogs, but maybe I should start going through the alphabetical list too because I'm probably missing a lot of them! The chili looks great--I like it with a lot of spices.
    Your cats' loafing skills are impressive!
    - Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I've gotten a bit behind on my blog reading, so I still have the blogs from "P" and onward to go... So many blogs & so little time! :)

      Delete
  6. I know this is all about food, but I can't get over your kitty loaves! They're too cute :)

    ReplyDelete