Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

French Toast

Hello on the 6th day of the Vegan Month of Food! This morning I used a recipe from the “breakfast” section of Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food. 


The first piece of French toast I made fell apart when I flipped it... whoops... but the five remaining pieces stayed intact, and it all turned out nicely.  

French Toast (soy milk, chickpea flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, canola oil, bread*)
*I used Rudi's Ancient Grain bread
 
This was my first time using chickpea flour, and the story behind searching for it at the grocery store was rather funny. So, I know that chickpeas are garbanzo beans. I've known this for some time now. But Zach's goofy voices tend to distract me and also make me forget things, apparently. When I find him at the flours, scouring the names, he points out the one labeled “garbanzo bean flour,” saying in a funny/creepy/throaty/garbly voice, “Gaaaarrrr-BAAAAHHHHN-zo beans!” I bust up laughing and join him in scanning every single type of flour, searching for the one labeled “chickpea flour” and finding everything but that. I'm just about to say (or maybe I actually did say) “Forget it; I'll just use regular flour,” when suddenly, my brain reminds me that “helloooooooo, garbanzo beans are chickpeas... therefore, the garbanzo bean flour IS chickpea flour!” Bahahaha!


All in all, the French toast was quick and easy to prepare, as well as being delicious and making the house smell quite lovely and warm! I'll definitely use this recipe again!

Served with blueberry syrup and strawberries.

Lunch today utilized the leftover back-to-basics black beans from Wednesday in a burrito, served with tortilla chips and salsa. 


And then I headed out to the shelter to volunteer and visit with my cat friends. Yay!

Back at home, I heated up some of the leftover classic cornbread and down-home chili for dinner. 



All in all, a nice end to my cookbook week and the first week of Vegan MoFo. Tomorrow begins my dollar store vegan theme; hope to see you then! 

Buttons, claiming the cat bed I'd set out for Leela by my desk.
Leela, diligently practicing her “loaf kitty” pose.

Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful kitties!
    I never liked french toast as an omni, but now I am thinking I might have to try a vegan version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! Yes, definitely give it a try; I wasn't as much a fan of French toast before going vegan, either. :)

      Delete
  2. I've never tried that recipe but I love chickpea flour in French toast so it sounds delicious. And your kitties are just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was definitely delicious! Thanks, Bonnie! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never ever tried french toast but after reading this I think I'm missing out! It looks delicious :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! French toast is pretty awesome! :)

      Delete