Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Garlic Green Beans, Smashed Potatoes, and Spicy Corn

Hello on the 2nd day of the Vegan Month of Food! Today's post features three simple side dishes from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson. 


Leela is currently pinning me in at the computer as I type this (while I was away from the computer, she laid down against my chair, which was mostly pushed in, and I didn't have the heart to move her, so I strategically maneuvered myself into my seat but it's a tight fit). 



I started cooking dinner early because I knew I'd take longer following cookbook recipes, and Buttons followed me to the kitchen, thinking she'd be getting an early dinner. No such luck. So she hopped up onto the bench and kept me company while I cooked. 



The three recipes that I chose were all very simple (hence me choosing them), and I halved the recipes because it said they made 4 servings, but to make three different dishes at once, let's just say I'm not that great at multitasking in the kitchen and there's a reason why I usually do one-pot meals... Between all the chopping, measuring, and cooking, it ended up taking over an hour, but everything turned out well. (A more coordinated person could get this done in half an hour, lol.) 


Garlic Green Beans (white onion, olive oil, minced garlic cloves, green beans, sliced almonds, pepper, salt)
Smashed Potatoes (2 medium red potatoes, soy milk, salt, pepper)
Spicy Corn (frozen corn, diced green bell pepper, diced red onion, crushed red pepper flakes, vegetable stock)

All in all, this meal turned out great!


 
The smashed potatoes were nice and creamy, the garlic green beans were good, and the spicy corn was definitely spicy (I'm such a weakling when it comes to spice). With just the crushed red pepper flakes being so spicy, I'm worried for later in the week; I plan to make chili from this cookbook, and that recipe calls for a LOT of spices...

Oh, and for lunch today, I had more leftovers: A vegan Morningstar burger (roasted garlic and quinoa, I liked this one a bit better on the Schär bun), corn on the cob, rice, and beans. I was stuffed; this was a much bigger lunch than I normally have, but I have a lot of leftovers to get through! 



Today I went through the alphabetical blog roll and reached the blogs starting with “B,” so I still have a long way to go. But I've seen some great posts so far, and several blogs that are new to me, so my Vegan MoFo is off to a great start! 

Closing update: Buttons has joined the blogging party!



Peace. :)

12 comments:

  1. Side dishes make the best meals! And I love all the cat pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed! Thanks, Laura! :)

      Delete
    2. That all looks so tasty and filling, must try the garlic green beans/spicy sweetcorn/smashed potatoes combo. Perfect comfort food.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Rosie! It's definitely a perfect comfort food combo! :)

      Delete
  2. That's my idea of comfort food! Your lunch looks kind of like mine did yesterday! We have a lot of leftovers from the long weekend! Your cats are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for leftover lunches! :) Thanks, Heather!

      Delete
  3. I love the kitty photos! (The food, too, but cat pictures tend to attract my attention first.) I kind of like when MoFo gives me so many leftovers--hopefully my freezer will be full by the end of the month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Yes, I always eat well during MoFo due to all the leftovers! :D

      Delete
  4. So its 11pm and I'm reading Mofo posts, is it wrong that I'm now hungry after reading this! Roll on breakfast! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, all these MoFo posts will do that to you! Enjoy your breakfast when it rolls around! :)

      Delete
  5. That looks like the perfect comfort food meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this will definitely go in my "to make again" file! :D

      Delete