Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day Picnic Food

Hello & happy Vegan Month of Food! The joys of Vegan MoFo are upon us once more! I've only read a few of the many posts so far, but I'm already so excited about everyone's themes! Today I have some (blurry) pictures of the picnic food from our Labor Day lunch (plus my leftovers for dinner).


Everything was delicious; my only (slight) disappointment was the hamburger buns we found (Schär). I don't know, maybe I just need to try them with different burgers? (I had the Boca vegan burger, with lettuce, tomato, mustard, & ketchup.)

Anyways, our Labor Day picnic meal included choices of vegan burgers, chick'n patties, and smart dogs; potato salad; baked beans; corn; and a rice dish (made by my mom). Snacks included pickles, potato chips, pretzels, and tortilla chips with salsa. And dessert was watermelon and strawberries (from Zach's mom) and zucchini cake (made by my mom). And Zach and our dads had lemon water ice.



We ate inside because it was way too hot and humid outside. Buttons wandered around, crying for food, overwhelmed by the abundance and clearly a bit peeved that none of it was for her. She finally settled down on a blanket my mom laid out for her on the kitchen floor.


So, yes, this is our first introduction of the day: Buttons!

 
Zach and I adopted her at the end of June. She is around 7 years old, and a real sweetie. She loves belly-rubs and is very playful; her favorite toy is a little stuffed flamingo on a string. She likes lounging around, dramatically sprawling out on her back. She enjoys snuggling and is super talkative. She's a such a sweetheart, and you'll definitely be seeing more of her this Vegan MoFo!

Our second introduction is: Leela!

 
She'd been living with us for a couple weeks, and her adoption was made official this past Wednesday. She's around 10 years old; we adopted her from The Grannie Project, the same rescue organization from which we'd adopted Mystery. Leela and Buttons are slowly getting to know one another (and Buttons is still learning to not steal Leela's food). Leela is super cuddly and usually sleeps at my side, with at least one paw always touching me. And she loves playing with her mouse toy and yarn.

And, back to the food, here's my leftovers-as-dinner:



Oh and last but not least, check out these super cute decorations my aunt gave us today:


For the rest of this week, I'll be cooking from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson. Of course tonight I realized that for each meal I was planning to make, I was still missing at least one ingredient. (You see why I'm so bad at cooking from cookbooks? Hahaha.) But Zach and I ran out to the grocery store to grab the last several ingredients, so I'll be good to go tomorrow!

Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh i love carrot dogs! :-)
    I looooooong for warm days outside, thankfully winter has at least come to an end here now though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that your winter has ended! :) Humid, hot days make me start wishing for the cold (even though I know I'll want the warmth again once winter gets here!).

      Delete
  2. The temperature has dropped here and I'm already crying out for Summer to return! Good news today though, weather reports in paper say we'll be having an Indian Summer till November! I wish! Buttons & Leela look so adorable, I look forward to seeing more pictures for sure! :o)
    PS I love watermelon & strawberries together and they look so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll get a few more warm days as least! It's been another really hot day here. I've been keeping the kitties cool, but they don't seem to mind the heat as much as I do -- Buttons just now charged up to the attic to sprawl out; it's like a sauna in there!
      Thanks; they are so cute, so I have plenty of pictures of them to share!
      Yes, those watermelon and strawberries were lovely to have, especially knowing that the end of summer is approaching!

      Delete
  3. The picture of Buttons on the stairs is super adorable! How sweet that you adopted older cats!
    Sounds like you had a great (indoor) picnic with lots of yummy food! What was in the rice dish your mom made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's probably my favorite picture I've taken of her so far. :D
      The rice dish my mom made was so good; it had carrots, snow peas, chickpeas, and pineapple, which I thought was an awesome addition!

      Delete
  4. Leela and Buttons are beautiful! :) And all of the food looks amazing! Especially the potato salad. I am a sucker for potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elyse! :) Me too; I've been making potato salad all summer!

      Delete