Pages

Friday, September 26, 2014

Meera's Avgolemono

Hello on the 26th day of the Vegan Month of Food! On today's Veganlist is Meera's avgolemono.


I was a bit nervous at first because avgolemono sounded quite non-vegan from her description of its ingredients... 


Donald: I mean, it looks like some sort of serial number...
Meera: Or an atomic number, something from a periodic table.
Donald: Why do you think that?
Meera: Because the only word I know that contains the letters “v-g” together is avgolemono.
Donald: I don't know what that is.
Meera: It's a soup. Chicken stock, egg yolks, and lemon juice. What? I cook. The point is, maybe Xiaoping Li is trying to send us a message.
 

...but when I looked up recipes online for vegan avgolemono, I was pleasantly surprised by all the results. I chose to use this recipe. It was easy to prepare; the only changes I made were using one shallot (instead of two), a darker miso, and one tablespoon of dill (two tablespoons seemed like it would be too much).


It smelled so good, and tasted even better.



I'm so glad I made the full recipe because now I have leftovers!



This has definitely become my favorite Veganlist meal, and it's something I know I'll make again, for sure. 



Bonus quotes from this episode (Season 1, Episode 19, “The Pavlovich Brothers (No. 199-122)”):

When they finally figure out Xiaoping Li's message... 




Meera: I beg your pardon?
Aram: Archimedes' formula! You know, uh, the naked guy who shouted “Eureka!” 



Meera: Why would she write down a mathematical formula?
Donald: Maybe it's some kind of a code or a language they don't understand.
Aram: Archimedes' principle indicates that the upward buoyant force, which is exerted on a body immersed in fluid, whether fully –
Meera: Aram.
Aram: Um, water displacement. Boats displace water.
Donald: She's trying to tell us how they're getting her out of the country.

And when Liz tells Tom the truth about pancakes:

Liz: If you're looking for sympathy, you might want to start with honesty. Here's an example of honesty, Tom. You've been making me pancakes for two years. I hate pancakes.

Whoops. So much for that.

This morning, Buttons decided to plop down underneath my desk, on top of my feet, so I had a comfy footwarmer who snored and made my feet fall asleep.



When Leela entered the room, Buttons got up close and personal with her, sniffing her face while Leela leaned back slightly and then just held still. As Buttons sprawled out on the floor, Leela looked up at me like, "What just happened?"



“I'm adorable!”                                  “You're a dork.”

Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that dish before! Your version looks really yummy! I totally have to watch that show - you had me at Archimedes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I love all these new-to-me foods, especially when they turn out so well! Awesome; hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  2. Aw that last picture is too much! I love it when cats smell each other's faces. I read somewhere that that is a sign of cat friendship. Though with my cats I suspect it's a sign of cat tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! Yes, I'm hoping it is a sign of a developing friendship between the two! :D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Panda! She does it quite often; sometimes just to relax and other times to invite belly-rubs, which she loves. She's a goofy cat! :)

      Delete
  4. Aww, I have to agree with Buttons that she's pretty adorable. Leela's look is so funny. :)

    I looked up the trailer for The Blacklist because your posts have been making me curious and wow, it looks intense! I'm not sure if I would enjoy it but maybe I'll check out the first episode sometime. The soup looks super good. I love lemony soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! :)
      Yeah, The Blacklist is really intense at parts (violence, blood/gore), so I have to look away from the worst of it. I normally don't watch shows like that, but the plot and characters are compelling enough for me to stick around!

      Delete