Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Oatmeal

Hello on the 13th day of the Vegan Month of Food! Today is the final day of my dollar store vegan week, so this morning, I used three items from the dollar store – oats, soy milk, and raisins – to make my super simple breakfast.


Quick to prepare; just combine 1/2 cup oats with 1 cup soy milk, heat in microwave, and add a handful of raisins and any other toppings you'd enjoy (my additional toppings were cinnamon and chia seeds).





A warm, filling breakfast; can't complain.


Overall, I didn't notice much difference in taste with this soy milk, but comparing it nutritionally to the soy milk I normally get, this one isn't as great. While it does have the same amount of calcium, more vitamin A, less fat, and less sodium, it also has less vitamin D, less protein, less potassium, less iron, less riboflavin, and no B12. So, I think I'll stick with my usual soy milk.

During the day, I had a variety of snacks: A banana, some trail mix, hummus with pita, and chips. And then dinner was a quick quesadilla with tortilla chips and salsa.



Bonus pic of the cute squash from my mom:



Tomorrow begins my health food store vegan theme, so stick around to see what fun foods I discover in the third week of Vegan MoFo!

This morning, Leela enjoyed snuggling into the shallow box I set out for the kitties to try.


"Thank you, human; this will do just fine..."

"...much better than that silly bed you bought me."

And Buttons was very leery of the bird puppet Zach brought home later today...


*sniff sniff* “What's this?”

“Oh **** no!” *backpeddles*

Peace. :)

10 comments:

  1. I just want to nuzzle your kitties. Maybe that's a weird thing to say, but I feel like I've come to know them and their loaf ways this MoFo. I can't resist a cat in a box! I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's not weird at all! It's definitely hard to resist when they decide it's time for cuddles! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see someone else post that. I also choose my soymilk based on the added nutrition factors and miss out on sales and deals because I want that added calcium and b12.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this theme! It was really interesting to see what you came up with. I'm looking forward to next week! (and more cats! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jill! There will definitely be more cats, haha! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow - I have never checked my dollar store for stuff like this, maybe I should give it a try.
    I look forward to the theme next week - sounds like a good one =)
    Your cats are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimmy! Yup, there are definitely some good deals & surprisingly vegan finds at dollar stores! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for showing that you don't have to spend a fortune to eat vegan food! I love the contrasting themes - from dollar store to health food store. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Yeah, I thought it would be a fun transition! :)

      Delete