Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pasta with Alfredo Sauce

Hello on the 16th day of the Vegan Month of Food! Tonight's post continues with my health food store vegan week, featuring vegan alfredo sauce!


When Zach spotted a vegan alfredo sauce at the health food store, I excitedly remembered the pasta I used to get in college at the dining hall (before going vegan), and figured this would be the perfect time to recreate it. I searched for breadsticks in the health food store, but couldn't find them for the life of me, so I used a slice of the leftover cornbread I'd since frozen. And I decided to not even bother with the meatballs (I'd gone vegetarian before going vegan, so the meatballs weren't as prominent in my memory of the pasta anyway), though I figured I should still have something in its place, so I cut up, seasoned, and baked some of the tempeh I'd picked up on sale at the health food store. And finally, the pasta was more of the dollar store bag that I'd picked up last week.



Even though this dinner looks nothing like the pasta bowls from college, it had me feeling super nostaglic, and it was so filling that I couldn't even finish it. And I think I actually liked the cornbread better than breadsticks!



But as for my verdict on the alfredo sauce: Not as great as I'd hoped, and definitely not as “cheesy” as I remembered the alfredo sauce from “back in the day.” Well, you can't win 'em all. Next time I make it (I still have most of the bottle), I might add some Daiya in and see if that helps.


Leela & Buttons often look like silly little statues when I take pictures of them in the kitchen.




Peace. :)

7 comments:

  1. I've seen that sauce and wondered how it was. Have you ever tried Vegan Yum Yum's Hurry Up Alfredo? I love it! http://veganyumyum.com/2009/09/hurry-up-alfredo-vyy-cookbook/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that recipe, but it looks good; I've bookmarked it now & will definitely give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

      Delete
    2. Cool! I hope you like it as much as we do!

      Delete
  2. Your kitties are so cute! I don't think I've ever tried shop bought Alfredo sauce, but from the sounds of it I haven't missed out. I do miss the cheesey taste sometimes, houmous is my new cheese! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! Yeah, my next move will be to try making my own alfredo sauce. Haha, hummus is amazing! :)

      Delete
  3. Pasta bowls from the dorm cafeteria just brought back a ton of memories. I think a mediocre alfredo sauce would make it even more authentic to my actual experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! That's too funny about the mediocre alfredo sauce, haha! :)

      Delete