Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Quick Veggie Casserole

Hello on the 4th day of the Vegan Month of Food! For dinner tonight, I decided to try a recipe from the “main courses” section of Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food.


But the story of this casserole requires some foreshadowing and silly sarcasm... 

*rewinds to breakfast* 

*rewinds a tad bit further to include the cuteness that preceded it*

Leela, perched up on the kitchen table this morning.

She eventually climbed down and sat at the bench, being a polite little kitty, while Zach and I ate breakfast. 



I started telling Zach about the dish I planned to make for Vegan MoFo today, and he asked, “What's in it?” I responded, “Vegetables and couscous.” Zach then made the jump to the phrase “vegetable coup” and started reciting various lines from the satirical “Carrot Juice is Murder” by the Arrogant Worms. I laughed, but it made me wonder... The vegetables would never rebel against me, would they? No, surely they wouldn't! I finished my breakfast and forgot all about it... Until I sat down to eat my dinner... (Dun dun dun...)

Quick Veggie Casserole (canola oil; frozen mixed vegetables – carrots, corn, peas, green beans, and baby lima beans*; couscous; vegetable stock; chopped white onion; shredded vegan mozzarella; salt; pepper)
*these weren't called for in the recipe, but they happened to be in the bag of frozen veggies I had

What drew me to try this recipe was how simple it looked, both ingredient- and process-wise. It ended up being super easy to make... Almost too easy, I thought as it baked in the oven... The first bite of couscous I tried was really good... But in the next bite, I got some onions, which really didn't get cooked at all, just heated up, and I am not a fan of uncooked onions, so as I ate, I started picking out the onions... And then I realized that the other vegetables tasted rather plain... I feel like this recipe, if I do ever try it again, will definitely require some modifications (for example, sauté the onions instead of just throwing them in the mix uncooked & add some of that garlic that I've used in the other dishes). 

Served with tortilla chips and salsa.

Even though I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped I would, I'm going to be positive and say, hey, at least I cooked another cookbook recipe!

Also, for my lunch today, I finally finished up the Labor Day picnic food. I had the last Boca soy patty atop some lettuce, then topped off the patty with the remaining baked beans, which made it much tastier (the Boca vegan burger is pretty plain on its own). In addition to the last of the potato salad and corn, I also had a big handful of cherry tomatoes from my parents' garden. The tomatoes were absolutely delicious and made me feel rather nostalgic for my summers growing up, standing in the garden, hemmed in by various plants, picking cherry tomatoes for a snack, the garden so full and green and calm around me...



I've reached the letter “J” in the blog roll, making progress! Another cool way to go through the blogs is to try out randomofo (when you're done checking out the blog it gives you, just click “refresh” for a new one). It's really neat!

To close tonight's post, Buttons would like to offer you some of her cuteness since Leela stole the spotlight at the beginning. Last night, Buttons hopped up and wiggled her way under the comforter on top of the couch. For a while, it was just a back paw and the tip of her tail sticking out as she hung out in her burrow.




Later, she shifted so she could peek out.


Peace. :)

6 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience making a recipe for baked pasta. It seemed almost too good to be true because it was so easy and it kind of was too good to be true - it just didn't have that much flavor and I had to eat it with something else. Good idea to have this with chips and salsa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Maybe this will encourage me to try slightly more complicated recipes! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man. There's nothing worse than undercooked onions when you're expecting them to be done. If you have Vegan With A Vengeance, the broccoli chickpea casserole is also easy to do and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Panda With Cookie! While I don't have Vegan With A Vengeance, it is one I've been planning to get, so I will look forward to trying it! :)

      Delete
  3. Even if your veggies weren't all-the-way cooked, the pic still looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete