Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Red's Pimento Cheese Sandwiches

Hello on the 24th day of the Vegan Month of Food! For today's Veganlist, we have Red's pimento cheese sandwiches.


Liz, determined to find out the truth about her husband Tom, has set up shop in her investigation room. Red comes in, now the second guy this episode to talk excitedly to her about food, even though she is clearly uninterested and preoccupied.







To make the pimento cheese, I combined one pimento, diced; one spoonful of vegan mayo; and Daiya cheese (mostly cheddar, but also a bit of pepperjack). Blended and mixed it up, did a taste taste: Yuck. Put it in the microwave and heated it up so the cheese got melty. Mixed and taste-tested again: OK, better. Added some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Toasted two pieces of bread, cut off the crusts (seemed a waste, so I saved them; for what, I don't know, I'll figure it out, haha). And then spread the pimento cheese on the bread to make the sandwich. 


Served with potato chips and pickles.

It was pretty quick and simple, OK overall but a bit odd, so not something I'll likely make again. But still a fun experiment!


Cheese majorly spilling out, haha!

Bonus quotes from this episode (Season 1, Episode 18, “Milton Bobbit (No. 135)”), when Liz has been trying to interrogate Tom's “brother” without much success.

Craig/Christopher: You didn't exactly think this through, did you?
Liz: Actually, I did.
...
Red: (to Craig/Christopher) You must be the brother-in-law.
Liz: (to Red) Ressler called. I have to step out. He isn't cooperating.
Red: Oh, hell. Dembe, get the hacksaw. We're gonna have to take him out of here in pieces.
(pause)
Red: (laughs) I'm just kidding. We'll get old Christopher to talk. Who's up for a field trip?

Buttons decided to “help” while I was preparing the ingredients. As I chopped the pimento, she leaped up onto the counter and kept trying to get to the cheese. I was able to block her, and she eventually gave up, instead exploring the area around the sink and the stove, which thankfully I wasn't using for this recipe.


*stares intently at the noms*

Leela, for her part, has not attempted to get up on the counter, yet. Her newest obsession is the pair of jeans that I laid out on the bed Monday night. Since then, whenever she's napping, she's napping on it. Here's a picture of her from last night:


"These are my jeans now."

P.S. Look what I got today! I'm so excited; I've been seeing so many people post the awesome stuff they've made from Isa Does It, and now I finally have a copy. I love the layout and design, and the pictures are great. I'm looking forward to trying out some recipes soon! 



Peace. :)

4 comments:

  1. If you have Cookin' Crunk, there's a recipe for pimento spread. The flavor is spot on, even though the texture isn't chunky like dairy pimento cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! That's another cookbook I'm looking to get soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Your kitties are so cute! You'lol have to let me know what the book is like. I've not got any of hers :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! :) I haven't cooked anything from it yet, but I've been paging/reading through it excitedly. There's so many recipes that look amazing, so I'm having trouble deciding where to start, but I think I'll do the roasted red pepper mac & cheese first (and Isa actually posted this recipe online, if you want to check it out: http://www.theppk.com/2013/10/roasted-red-pepper-mac-cheese-video/).

      Delete