Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Skillet Lasagna

Hello on the 17th day of the Vegan Month of Food! Tonight continues my health food store vegan week with a pasta mix that Zach thought would be interesting; I made it for our dinner tonight.


It's one of those simple toss-it-in-the-skillet kind of things: Combine pasta & seasoning, water, and crushed tomatoes (I used pasta sauce instead) in the pan, bring to boil, cover & lower heat to medium, & cook 20 minutes.


So I did just that, and then some... but even after 10 extra minutes, the pasta was still a bit stiff... Well, we were hungry, so we just figured, heck with it, and I added in 6 oz. of Daiya shredded mozzarella, stirred that in, left it to melt for another five minutes, and then we sat down to eat.


Another not-so-photogenic meal... whoops...

I don't know, I didn't think it was that great, but Zach was a good sport about it and said it was “okay.” We determined that it was the spiciness of the seasoning mix that made it less than ideal, plus the fact that some of the pasta was still a bit, ah, “crunchy.” So, my takeaway from this is that I'm just going to stick with making my own instead of using seasoned mixes. In the past we've enjoyed simple pasta dishes with Daiya-cheesy spaghetti sauce. No need for all the silly additional seasonings. Ah well... now to figure out what to do with the leftovers, haha!


Oooo, steamy...

Lunch today was half of the other ramen I bought (millet & brown rice ramen). I added some carrot slices and had my leftover tempeh from yesterday on the side. Didn't like this ramen as much as the first, though. The forbidden rice ramen is still the one to beat!



And for a snack, a gala apple from the health food store with some more dollar store trail mix, yum! 



Buttons and Leela continue to be cuties.


Buttons likes sprawling out at the top of the attic steps.


And Leela enjoys curling up in the corner next to my nightstand.


Peace. :)

6 comments:

  1. The apple looks so fresh, crispy, and yummy! Too bad the skillet meal was a fail. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the apple was great! I had another today; yum! Update on the skillet lasagna: The leftovers are good! :D

      Delete
  2. I love your plate! The first picture of Buttons is my favourite picture to date, how cute? :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! Glad you liked her picture; she's always sprawling all over the place & she has such an expressive face! :)

      Delete