Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Random food, post-MoFo

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been away from my blog for a bit. Once Vegan MoFo ends, my posting momentum tends to slow down significantly. My goal is to do a post every other week; today will be a random post of some of the food I've had since Vegan MoFo. Mainly I've been trying to do really simple meals and work on using up ingredients I already have, instead of buying new ingredients for recipes I want to try. But that hasn't stopped me from making exceptions and trying out some of the recipes from Isa Does It.

I decided to make the roasted red pepper mac & cheese (for those without the cookbook, the recipe can be found online here); this was my first time soaking cashews. The sauce turned out OK
(I probably should have soaked the cashews longer than the two hours and/or blended them for longer), but I don't know, it wasn't as awesome as I'd hoped it would be. I'll try the recipe again sometime, soaking the cashews overnight and blending for longer and seeing if that helps. 




I mixed the leftovers with corn and baked them with breadcrumbs and garlic salt and pepper on top. 





Other random stuff I've had since Vegan MoFo: Hot dogs with fries and corn...



...baked ziti with mixed vegetables, spaghetti sauce, mozzarella and cheddar Daiya, and breadcrumbs... 





...apples with harvest pumpkin hummus from the farmers' market (YUM!)... 





...and a simple pasta with garlic bread.





I also tried a second recipe from Isa Does It: the curried peanut sauce bowl; this time, I was missing several of the ingredients (and also left out the greens because I was rushing), but it turned out awesome (what it ended up being was brown rice, tofu, and a sauce with garlic, ginger, agave nectar, and peanut butter). 



I added some frozen mixed vegetables to the leftovers. YUM and YUM!

Buttons checking it out. :)


I've also been trying out a bunch of Amy's canned organic soups because they've been on sale. I took pictures for all of them, except as it turns out, my favorite, which was the lentil soup. It was so good & I'm definitely going to get it again, though I'd also like to make it myself sometime!

Fire Roasted Southwestern Vegetable Soup (good, but a bit too spicy for me) 



with added croutons

Minestrone Soup (good; cute noodle shapes) 



Lentil Vegetable Soup (really good; my second favorite to the plain lentil soup)




Tuscan Bean & Rice Soup (pretty good overall)




Hearty French Country Vegetable Soup (I was a bit unsure of this one because it had mushrooms, but it was actually pretty good) 



In other news, I'm looking forward to Halloween this Friday! And then on Saturday, I begin my fifth NaNoWriMo! So that will keep me busy; I'll share my writing stats here as I did last year.

And last but not least, Buttons and Leela have been enjoying the sun. 



Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. Aww, clever kitties, they always find the best spots to take a nap. :) I've been making a lot of soup because it's getting so cold, so all those Amy's soups look really appealing to me! And I've been meaning to try more things from Isa Does It so it's good to have some suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Soup is definitely perfect for this time of year!

      Delete
  2. I like your random food posts. It's awesome when a vegan product goes on sale and you can try all of the different varieties! Amy's soups are one of my favorite travel take alongs for road trips through the middle of nowhere (i.e.vegan food deserts). Good luck with NaNoWriMo! That's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! That's a good idea to take them along on road trips!

      Delete
  3. My posting totally goes down after MoFo too. I've just started trying to get back into a schedule. Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Panda! Glad to see "Food That Looks Like My Cat" is back! :D

      Delete
  4. Hi Julie Glad to know I am not the only one who lost momentum after MoFo! Glad to see you back on your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat, sorry I didn't publish your comment until now; I slacked off on posting again! But I'm back now, and glad to see you're still posting, too! Happy New Year! :D

      Delete