Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Chicken Seitan and Spicy Fries

I tried my new recipe of the week on Wednesday and it turned out alright. This was only my second time making seitan, so it went better than the first time but I still need to experiment a bit more. 


For the chicken seitan, I used the Chicken Stylee Seitan recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen and halved it, left out the bay leaf from the broth because I didn't have one, and also cooked it in the oven instead of on the stovetop. For the spicy fries, I used the recipe for “easy oven-baked fries” from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food, except I didn't have any Old Bay Seasoning, so I made some myself from the spices I had available. (My Old Bay spice mix included salt, dry mustard, paprika, black pepper, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper flakes.)



Overall, the chicken seitan was good, though the edges were a bit soft/weird texture so I just cut those parts off. But other than that, it wasn't texture-wise much different from tofurky, so I liked that. The fries were also good, but they were so extremely spicy to me, and I didn't even include all the spices I was supposed to, like mace! I still have a good amount of my Old Bay spice mix left over, so I'll just use a bit less in the future. 



Here's Leela in the sun... 



And Buttons trying to sniff out more food... 



Peace. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment