Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Earth Balance Vegan Cheddar Mac & Cheese

Sorry I've been away from my blog for so long! For my first post of the new year, I figured I would go over my cooking and blogging goals and also write about Earth Balance's mac & cheese, which I finally tried last night! 


Last year, one of my goals was to cook more new recipes and do one blog post a week, but that didn't quite work out. So this year I am combining them; ideally, I will cook one new recipe a week, and that will be the topic of my weekly blog post.



To start it off, I made the Earth Balance Vegan Cheddar Mac & Cheese for dinner last night. It was fun and simple to make, nostalgic and all that good stuff. (After ramen, boxed mac & cheese was probably one of the first things I learned to cook growing up.) Earth Balance's mac & cheese is prepared in the same way. Boil the mac, drain, and return to the pot; stir in plant milk (I used soy milk), vegan butter (I used Earth Balance), and the cheese flavor powder; mix and serve.


Served with carrot "fries" (carrots, canola oil, salt; bake for 10 min, flip, bake for another 10 min).

Now, no, it doesn't taste exactly like what I remember the mac & cheese of my childhood tasting like (Zach agreed, mentioning it had a slight aftertaste, something I've seen other bloggers point out in their reviews). But it's a nice comfort food, easy to prepare, and a quick dinner. I had ordered mine from Vegan Essentials, only to find out later that's it's being sold at the Giant grocery store near me. It's not something I'm going to buy regularly, but it was fun to have, so I'll probably just buy it when it's on sale. (I also bought the white cheddar version, and the vegan cheddar squares, so once I try those, I'll post about them, too!) 


P.S. Leela and Buttons say hello, from inside the cat tent.




Peace. :)

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Julie! :) I'm so excited that you posted this review. I really want to try this mac & cheese but haven't seen it yet in Canada. Looking forward to reading more of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and Happy New Year to you as well, Elyse! Hopefully the mac & cheese will make its way to Canada soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man! We tried the white cheddar one first, and kind of hated it. A few weeks ago we made the normal cheddar flavor with cut up veggie dogs, and it was so good! Like, I've been craving it ever since and this post ain't helping lol. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually debating adding veggie dogs to the mac, but then decided on having it plain first. I'll definitely do it next time around, though! Happy New Year to you, too! :)

      Delete