Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

Plain Ol' Hummus

My new recipe this week was the plain ol' hummus from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food. It's a simple recipe, but preparing it proved to be quite the adventure.


The recipe says to process all the ingredients together in a food processor, so I dug mine out and set it up and added in all the ingredients. Well, it turns out it's actually a mini food processor, and I wasn't paying attention and accidentally went over the liquid fill line, and all the lemon juice and water started leaking out of the bowl before I could even start the processor. So, that was exciting... and messy...

By the time I got all that cleaned up and processed it in two batches to avoid further spills, I realized I should have drained the chickpeas (garbanzo beans) because the resulting hummus was way too watery, even with some of the water having leaked out. (I didn't drain them because the recipe didn't specify, and in other recipes in this cookbook, it's been noted when to drain & rinse canned beans.) But I gave the hummus a try anyway, and in addition to being watery, there was too much cumin.

So, yesterday, I tried the recipe again, making some changes: I drained & rinsed the chickpeas, used only ¼ tsp cumin (instead of 1 ¼ tsp cumin) and just a dash of pepper (instead of 1/8 tsp), and blended these and the rest of the ingredients (tahini, flax oil, lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt) in a blender (instead of my mini food processor). This time, it was a delicious success; I had some of the hummus with pretzels for a snack last night. (Note: In my next batch, I think I might try adding just a little bit of water to the mix.)



Here's Leela (tucked in bed) and Buttons (getting some sunshine) this morning. 



Peace. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment