Pages

Friday, September 4, 2015

Apple-Bacon-Chocolate English Muffin

Hello everyone! I have to admit, today's prompt – "Tell us about a weird food combo that you love" – made me a bit nervous. I couldn't think of any weird food combos off the top of my head, at least, not any I knew I would love. I'm generally not very adventurous with odd food pairings; I like to stick to tried & true foods that go well together. So, I decided to view this prompt as an experiment, the key ingredients being tempeh bacon (to use up what I had left from Tuesday's post) and chocolate chips.



Of the three experiments I conducted throughout this week, the one that turned out best was my lunch today, the Apple-Bacon-Chocolate English muffin. I baked my last three slices of tempeh bacon with five apple slices and then layered them (with melted chocolate) inside an English muffin. Is it the most adventurous weird food combo? No, certainly not. But was it one I could actually eat? Yes. Most importantly, I enjoyed it and can even see myself making it again.




Interested in seeing the other two experiments?

The idea for the first one came from the Easy Apple Nachos I'd tried recently. It turned out alright but was rather messy, and I couldn't finish the last bit of pepper; my stomach felt too weird, and I was not going to risk it, lol!


(Tempeh bacon pieces & chocolate chips baked in halves of an orange bell pepper, with peanut butter drizzled on top.)

The second experiment became the basis for today's successful weird food combo. I cooked four slices of tempeh bacon and had them on an English muffin with melted chocolate. Simple but something was still missing; as you know, I discovered today that that something was apple slices. 



Anyone else do food experiments for today's prompt? How did they turn out for you?

Here are some goofy pictures of Buttons and Leela; first up is Buttons all sprawled out...




And here's Leela getting scritchies from Zach...




Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. Looks like Buttons is doing yoga! :) Creative combination! I want to try that chocolate with bacon thing. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill; hope you enjoy the combo if you try it! And yes, Buttons does get into some very yoga-like positions, haha! :)

      Delete
  2. I kept trying to think of a weird food pairing I was already eating, but I really like your idea of picking two ingredients and trying to combine them somehow. And I've never heard of tempeh & apple & chocolate, so I definitely think it's a creative combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much; I was pleasantly surprised with how it worked out! :)

      Delete
  3. I don't think I would be bold enough to try any of those, well done! It was a really difficult prompt yesterday, and I was secretly a little pleased that everyone else found it as difficult as I did - I worried I just wasn't adventurous enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought it was a tough prompt! :)

      Delete
  4. I read this post yesterday and woke up dreaming about it this morning! I'm a sucker for a salty/sweet combo. I'm now just waiting patiently for the health food store to open so that I can buy some tempeh bacon to make this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay what a great dream! Hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete