Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Aram's Red-Velvet Cupcakes

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "Reach out! Make a new vegan friend & tell us about it," and I have the perfect Veganlist post for it...  

Aram's Red-Velvet Cupcakes
[from The Blacklist, "The Longevity Initiative" (No. 97) (Season 2, Episode 17)]


First off, let's discuss my favorite Blacklist friendship/friend"ship" (yes, I mostly "ship" characters as friends, haha) – Liz and Aram. They work so seamlessly together, there's a trust between them that's never been broken, and they always have the other's back. Any scene with the two of them together is a good scene. Now, I identify a lot with Aram's character. He's socially anxious and doesn't like being in the middle of the action; he stays back, helping from his computer instead of going out into the field with the others. However, his awkwardness and inexperience only serve to illuminate how much he cares about people, how he never wants to hurt anyone. Of the team, he shows the most hesitancy during (and regret after) the post office is breached. His concern when others are in danger is extremely genuine. He's very sweet, and he values the relationships he has with his co-workers. And in the episode featured today, he shows such sincere excitement for Liz's birthday, bringing in cupcakes for her and the rest of the team. He is so absorbed in celebrating and wanting to make Liz's day great that he gets distracted from the case at hand.


Liz: (on phone) Hey guys, what you got?
Aram: A birthday card and 31 red-velvet cupcakes. Uh, well, uh, 30. I couldn't resist. When are you coming back?
Liz: Aram, the suspect.
Aram: Work. Right.



I used this recipe to make the cupcakes (I think it's originally from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz). I couldn't find chocolate extract, so I just added ½ tsp of both vanilla and almond extracts. Oh, and I tried cherry juice as a natural red food coloring, so the cupcakes didn't turn out quite as red as might be expected, but the cherry flavor was worth it! 



For the frosting, I halved the recipe. 



With today's theme of vegan friendship, I wanted to give a special shout-out to everyone who has commented on my posts so far this MoFo: Jessica, Emil, Bonnie, Jill, Elyse, Hannah, Amber, Kimmy, Jenny, Jennifer, and Tea and Sympatico. There's enough cupcakes for all of us; the recipe made 12, and I've already eaten mine... I couldn't resist. ;) 





Bonus screenshots (aka Red's a bit more cynical about people than Aram)





P.S. Be sure to hop on over to Evolution of Jill. She's had lots of awesome posts so far, and for her post today, she tried out one of my Veganlist recipes from last year's MoFo! :D

Here's a pic of Buttons and Leela working on being friends... 


"close enough"

Peace. :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh WOW! Look at these! Yum! Wish I could reach thru the screen and grab one...or 5...lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! They are quite delicious! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, thank you for the shout out! That makes me so happy! This is yet again another great post. I would love to try one of these! :) Can't wait to see more Veganlist posts! Thanks again for all your support! <33333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jill! And thanks; it looks like I have about nine Veganlist posts left to do & tomorrow will be one of them! :D

      Delete