Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Fish Sticks and French Fries

Hello everyone! I hope your MoFo is off to a great start, fueled by all the awesome breakfasts from yesterday! Today's prompt is “Recreate a meal from your childhood.” During Vegan MoFo 2013, I did a “Nostalgia Week,” so a lot of my favorite childhood meals can be found there. Since I've already covered a bunch of the ones I enjoyed, today I decided to recreate one that I hadn't been a fan of, hoping to put a more positive spin on a vegan version of it...


So, do you remember how I loved “Chicken Nugget Wednesday” as a kid? Well, every year, there would come the one day when we'd have fish sticks instead of chicken nuggets... 


image source: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv3rldxfMQ1qdhyvx.png

That day was Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent, a day of fasting and no meat (the Catholic Church not considering fish to be “meat” never made sense to me, but oh well). I was always so bummed about not getting to have chicken nuggets, and I really didn't like the taste of fish. Needless to say, eating fish has never been something I've missed as a vegan. 



I have, however, heard good things about the Gardein fishless filets, so I figured this would be the perfect time to try them. I baked the “fish” and the fries in the oven for 10 minutes at 425°F, flipping them midway through, and serving them with carrot slices and grape tomatoes. 



They had a definite fish-like taste and texture to them, but they were much more enjoyable than the fish sticks of my childhood. While they weren't my absolute favorite thing from Gardein (that's still the Mandarian orange crispy chick'n), they were really good, and I'll probably get them again. 



In other MoFo news, I've been so excited to see people blogging about Polish foods! I have a couple planned for this month, but here are the ones I've seen so far by other bloggers: A Spin on Vegan Kapusta and Pierogies - Vegan and Gluten-free.
(Let me know if I've missed any; I would love to check them out!)

Tomorrow will be another Veganlist post, so stayed tuned for that!

Here's a pic of (blurry) Leela and (distant) Buttons from a month ago; this was taken at night during their routine of hanging out in the hallway during thunderstorms; it's where they seem to feel safest. 



Peace. :)

10 comments:

  1. I loooove Fishless Filets! I didn't grow up liking fish either, but I love these now. They kind of freak me out so I douse them in malt vinegar, and they're perfect that way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are awesome! Haha, whatever works! :)

      Delete
  2. i loved all the polish posts today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for more throughout the month! :)

      Delete
  3. I wish I had that meal in front of me right now! The crispy orange chik'n is still my favourite too, but I'll have to give these a try. P.S. I'm currently downing the first episode of The Blacklist! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elyse! I know it won't be long before I make the fishless filets again! Yay; let me know what you think of it! :D

      Delete
  4. I never tried fish sticks... they really just never appealed to me and my parents never made them for us.
    I'm intrigued by the gardein ones though! I actually just bought some gardein veggie chicken nuggets to try =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fishless filets are so much better than I remember fish sticks being! Gardein has some great stuff for sure! :)

      Delete
  5. Don't forget puffin. It's a bird- but the Catholic Church don't consider that to be a meat either! I think it's safer all round just to not eat meat/fish/puffin at all! At my elementary school they used to serve the infamous 'double fish finger'. Double torture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, really?! I had no idea, I guess because I've never heard of anyone eating puffins. (I just looked into it and there are several animals that are/were considered "not meat" -- like alligators and beavers -- how odd!) And yeah that does sound like double torture!

      Delete