Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Kids Menu Chicken Fingers

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "Re-create a restaurant meal" so I figured I would veganize a nostalgic favorite... 


As a kid, going out to eat at Angelo's (now A&N) was always something to look forward to. Before we got to the main meal, though, something essential had to be determined: What were the soups of the day? If one of the options was chicken noodle, we knew it was going to be a good day. (A close second was chicken rice; sometimes we also got beef vegetable or beef barley.) While my parents were a bit more adventurous with what they would order for dinner, my sister and I always got the same thing
– chicken fingers from the kids menu; a drink and dessert were included. Eating at a restaurant was one of the few times we were allowed to drink soda, so we'd each request a glass of Sprite. While we waited for our chicken fingers, we would enjoy our cup of soup, which came with saltine crackers. 



with Tofurky slow roasted chick'n (lightly seasoned)

The chicken fingers were served with french fries (and a pickle, too, if I'm remembering correctly). I think there were usually around 4-5 chicken fingers, but they were bigger than the Gardein ones I used to re-create the meal. And of course we would have ketchup for our chicken fingers and fries. 




Finally, for dessert, we would order ice cream or sherbert, which was served in a cute little metal serving dish like this:


(image source)

So Delicious vanilla bean coconut milk ice cream

In other food news, I used the leftover tofu and "yolk" mixture from yesterday to make a tofu scramble, complete with little grape tomatoes from my parents' garden. 



(I visited home yesterday and hung out with my mom and this cuddly cutie, Blu.)

And as always, here are Buttons and Leela...




Peace. :)

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! This post takes me back to the excitement of going to a restaurant with my parents as a kid. All of the food looks so good! :) I love that you recreated the whole meal. The tofu scramble looks delicious too -- the tomatoes from your parents garden makes it extra special. Also, where did you get that Vegan Mofo mug?!?!?!! :) Leela and Buttons looks adorable as always and I love the pic of cuddly Blu. Hope you're having an awesome day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for all your lovely comments, Elyse! I am having an awesome day & hope you are as well! :) I won the Vegan MoFo mug in one of the giveaways last year. It was from Jeanette Zeis Ceramics; here's the Etsy shop -- https://www.etsy.com/shop/JeanetteZeis -- but it doesn't look like the Vegan MoFo mug is in stock. The closest to it is this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/203987712/vegan-dish-mug-fancy-made-to-order

      Delete
  2. You're making me want a (vegan) kid's meal now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Ana! It was pretty good! :D

      Delete