Pages

Monday, September 7, 2015

Lemon Chiffon Cake with Zesty Peach Icing

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "Make / eat some thing inspired by a book or film." I went with something from what's probably my favorite movie ever: Stranger than Fiction.



Lots of reasons to love this movie, the first of which is all the food – I wrote down 15 food mentions, but I'm sure there were more that I missed, plus all the background food, especially in the bakery. Then of course there's Maggie Gyllenhaal, one of my favorite actresses, and Emma Thompson as the author. And Will Ferrell plays the only character of his I've ever liked (sorry to any Will Ferrell fans). As for specific scenes, I have many favorites... the "tax man," the flours, the "Whole Wide World," the phone call, writing the novel's ending, all great scenes. And it's a nostalgic movie, too, as it's the first movie Zach and I went out to see together. [Rewatching it now, my only real complaint about the movie is the misunderstanding of anarchism (oh, and the derogatory "swine" reference), but that's a discussion for another day, haha.]

Here's some quotes and the "cookie scene," during which Ana discusses a bunch of recipes she baked in college for her study group. I chose to veganize the last one, the lemon chiffon cake with zesty peach icing (OK, it was more of a glaze than an icing, but I've never really been an icing person).

Ana: Mr. Crick, it was a really awful day. I know; I made sure of it. So, pick up the cookie, dip it in the milk, and eat it. 



Ana: I just figured if I was gonna make the world a better place, I would do it with cookies.

I referenced this recipe for the cake, making it vegan by using Ener-G Egg Replacer in place of the eggs. I also used 2 tsp lemon juice instead of 1 tsp cream of tartar (it's vegan; I just figured that I'd used the lemon juice to make it extra lemony). I baked the cake for 1 hr, and it came apart slightly as it left the pan, but it's the taste that counts, right? (And that taste is delicious.) I did my own thing for the "icing"/glaze, whisking together 1 tsp lemon zest, 4 T powdered sugar, and 2 mashed slices of canned peaches. 





Oh, and if you were wondering why the background to my photos is different today, someone (ahem, Buttons) happened to be occupying my staging area... 



And of course, here's a photo of Leela as well...



Peace. :)

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that doesn't love Will Ferrell!! I've never seen this movie, and I'm not sure how- it's got some good people in it! I wonder if it's on Netflix? Anyways, the cake looks AMAZING. I want it for breakfast!! :)
    My friends and I have a saying for when cats are in the way of what you need to do: CATS ARE HELPING! Buttons obviously wanted to help... but then uh... got too tired :)
    Your pictures are always amazing. I need to know your secret to great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he just plays such obnoxious characters & I have a hard time getting into that, lol. Thanks; this is definitely a cake I'll make again!
      That's a great saying; Buttons is quite the "helper" indeed! :D
      Aww, thanks! I don't know if I have any secrets; I've just practiced a lot with my camera. Probably the best secret is to take way more pictures than you'll actually use, haha! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks and sounds incredible! Happy MoFo to ya! I'm over at http://MyBlissfulJourney.com if you want to swing by. Your cats are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer; happy MoFo to you as well! Hopping over to your blog now; I feel like I'm so behind on reading everyone's posts! :)

      Delete
  3. The cake sounds delicious. I don't think I've ever seen a film with Will Farrell in but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's definitely a great film! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow that cake looks soo good, I need to get a fancy mould like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emil! The recipe technically said to use an angel food cake pan, but I didn't have one, plus my bundt cake pan made it look much fancier, so it all worked out! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow that cake looks soo good, I need to get a fancy mould like that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, now that's a cake! I usually prefer mine to be of the chocolate variety - but this sounds super delicious =)
    Cookies really do make the world a better place. So does cake!
    Maggie Gyllenhaal is pretty awesome. Did you see Elf? That is my favourite Will Ferrell movie of all time... I know it's not everyone's cup of tea though ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I saw Elf several years ago, and now that I think about it, Will Ferrell was actually pretty good in it. So there's two of his characters I can say I like; thanks for the reminder! :)

      Delete