Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Liz's Baklava

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "OMG, Barack Obama is coming over because he knows you make awesome vegan food! What are you going to make?"let's do another Veganlist post.  

Liz's Baklava
[from The Blacklist, "Ruslan Denisov" (No. 67) (Season 2, Episode 11)]
 
 
Red: You haven't touched your baklava.
Liz: You told him, and he's not interested?
Red: Just one bite.
Liz: I didn't come here for the baklava. I came here to talk about the negotiation.



Red seemed sure that the baklava would be a tremendous hit with Liz, but she wasn't interested. I decided to try it for myself to see what all the fuss was about. 



I used this recipe, but I used Bee-Free Honee instead of agave nectar and for the nuts I used a mix of ~2 cups walnuts, ~3/4 cup almonds, and ~1/4 cup pecans. Despite the sinking feeling when I realized I didn't have enough time to defrost the phyllo dough, it all worked out. (Zach looked it up for me & found out that you can use the microwave! What a relief!) So everything came together pretty well, and the baklava turned out to be super sweet & nutty, a real treat. 



If Barack Obama is willing to listen, he's welcome to enjoy a slice while I ramble on about veganism, anarchism, and maybe even The Blacklist, too. 


Check out those layers, lol!

Bonus quote from the episode:
Red: Let's go on a field trip, shall we?

Buttons and Leela don't get the fuss about presidents; they feel that if presidents really were so great, they'd be able to handle simple things like making sure everyone is fed (since no one deserves to go hungry – one of Buttons' most firm beliefs) and ensuring that everyone has a warm, safe home (since housing is an undeniable right – Leela is baffled whenever anyone tries to debate her on this).




Peace. :)

12 comments:

  1. I have literally ~never~ had baklava, vegan or otherwise. This looks so tasty though, I might have to give it a go one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Yes, definitely give it a try sometime; it's really good! :)

      Delete
  2. I've never had baklava either! Yours looks really good though! Obama would love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had Baklava in years and that's when I was lacto ovo veg so I know I haven't had a vegan version! This looks GREAT and I wish you could mail me some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh yum. I love Baklava! I have only ever made it once and that was before I was vegan so it had honey. I remember it was fun to make and we have a good honey sub in the UK called Sweet Freedom so I should give it a go with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; it was indeed fun to make! & your honey substitute has such a nice name! :)

      Delete
  5. That's really cute! We love the Blacklist, too, so that was as nice of a treat as your bakalva - which looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, more Blacklist fans! Thanks, Zsu! :D

      Delete