Pages

Monday, September 14, 2015

Lucinda's Brown-Sugar Pecan Coffee Cake

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "Share something vegan (and delicious, duh!) with a non-vegan," and it's also time for another Veganlist post!   

Lucinda's Brown-Sugar Pecan Coffee Cake
[from The Blacklist, "The Deer Hunter" (No. 93) (Season 2, Episode 13)] 

 
Red: Cinnamon-nut crumble?
Edgar: Brown-sugar pecan.
Red: (laughs) Oh my.
Edgar: Lucinda knows how you love her coffee cake.
Red: (laughs) Oh I do. (sniffs the cake) Mmm! Be well, Edgar, and tell Lucinda if she ever leaves you, I'd like to marry her. 



I used this recipe and baked it for a total of 45 min. All while I was stirring and mixing together ingredients, I was thinking, "This smells like fall..." 


Zach said we should pair it with some apple cider.

He's a dork. :)

Zach's review: Yum yum yum yum yum yum.
My review: Pretty good! It not only smells like fall, it tastes like fall. The apple cider was a good idea to go with it.

(Oh and that random white table in the middle of the kitchen that wasn't there during my kitchen tour? We moved it in after I was done taking pictures. In reminiscing about my first kitchen, I mentioned to Zach how I really missed having an island. We'd just gotten a bigger dining room table from his parents, so we'd put our old one to the side. Zach suggested moving it in just to see what an island would be like there.)

Bonus quotes from the episode:
Liz: Look, if you're here because you want to give me more unsolicited advice about my case –
Red: Tempting as that may be, I'm here to speak to Agent Mojtabai.
Aram: Oh. (chuckles) No one ever calls me that.

Last night, when I told Zach what the prompt was for today, his teasing response was, "See, it's a good thing I'm not vegan; what would you have done if I were?" And I responded, "I would have shared something with Buttons." (And then I saw Emil's post this morning, hehe.) Even though Zach's not vegan, he's found some vegan alternatives to things he likes. (For example, he now uses So Delicious coconut creamer for his coffee, and coconut milk for his cereal.) And he does try some of the things I make; the lemon chiffon cake from last week got very positive reviews ("it's lemony" and "mmm," lol!) & he had several slices in the days after I made it. That was one recipe I knew I'd make again for myself, but now that I know Zach likes it, I have all the more reason to make it again!

It was cold this morning, so I opened up the blinds to let in the sunshine; Leela was drawn to it immediately. 




Buttons, meanwhile, perched in her favorite spot on top of the love seat to observe the goings-on outside.




Peace. :)

14 comments:

  1. Holy moly that cake looks tasty! My cat likes to eat lentils, and my dog likes tofu ricotta (and raw kale) so I would've been able to stay put in my house if I'd been MOFOing this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny; it was quite tasty! That's so cute about the foods your cat & dog like! :)

      Delete
  2. This cake looks so good! Definitely time to start making autumn foods!

    Leela is so cute in her little spot of sunshine - it's like a kitty magnet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma; making this cake definitely helped to put me in the mood for autumn! & the sunshine is quite the kitty magnet indeed! :)

      Delete
  3. I have been craving coffee cake since MoFo started this month!!! I think this is a sign that I need to make it ;) Also- hilarious picture of Zach. That would be my response if you put a piece of this cake in front of me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill; glad you enjoyed the picture, haha! :D I hadn't had coffee cake for the longest time; growing up, my sister and I often had it with my mom for tea time (but we called it "crumb cake"), so it was fun & nostalgic to finally make my own vegan version.

      Delete
  4. Oh my God, that looks amazing! I haven't had coffee cake since last Fall (I think?), and it's definitely time to remedy that. The apple cider is inspiring too. Maybe apple cider crumb cake? WHOA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! That sounds like a great idea; I'll have to try out an apple cider version next! :)

      Delete
  5. Mmm, I love pecans. Sounds like a very tasty cake. It is very fall like here today and a slice of that would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; fall is certainly in the air! :D

      Delete
  6. Brown sugar and pecans...yum! It does sound perfect for fall. I didn't do this prompt, but I was thinking of posting about how one of my cats loves coconut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! That's so cute that one of your cats is a fan of coconut! :)

      Delete
  7. These looks amazing! I'm sure you had many people ready to convert after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete