Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Purple Potato and Blueberry Pierogi

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "Something blue," so I chose to use purple potatoes and blueberries as pierogi fillings. 


For the pierogi dough, I halved this recipe, which resulted in 10 pierogi circles.

For the purple potato filling, I boiled six tiny purple potatoes (but three would have been sufficient) and then mashed them with some Earth Balance and salt and pepper.




For the blueberry filling, I rinsed two small handfuls of blueberries, then mixed in 1 tsp sugar. 




After tightly pinching the pierogi closed, I boiled them and then fried them in some canola oil. 






If you're looking for something to have with these pierogi, how about some sauerkraut and seitan?

Oh, and feel free to get this stuck in your head like I did (I was singing "I'm blue..." over and over and over while kneading the pierogi dough, haha)...



Here are some sleepy pics of Leela and Buttons...




Peace. :)

10 comments:

  1. What magnificent fluffeh bellehs!
    And now I have that song in my head, so thanks.
    In a tragic confession, I don't think I have ever had actual pierogi... one day I shall have to rectify this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Yes, that is definitely something to rectify; pierogi are awesome! :D

      Delete
  2. I love them! And you made TWO blue dishes. Very well done :)

    Zsu @ Zsu's Vegan Pantry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue pierogis! Very creative! You know, I used to love Pierogis. I would buy the pre-made potato and cheddar and potato and onion frozen kind. I was sad to find out they weren't vegan when I made the switch. But! I never thought about making my own. Yours look so good. How were the blueberry ones? I never would have thought to make a pierogi sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! The kneading in particular takes a bit of work, but it's well worth it! The blueberry ones were great, but I can't take credit for that idea... Blueberry pierogi were one of my poppy's specialties that he would make every now and then! :D

      Delete
  4. I was hoping someone would use blue potatoes! I've never seen them in England but remember having them in Peru and blue corn too. I too have never had a pierogi but I reckon I would love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was my first time trying the purple/blue potatoes, so I was really excited, haha! :)

      Delete