Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "Tell us about your favorite cookbook!" Mine is Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson (link goes to my posts about recipes I've tried from it). 


Other than my "photo album" cookbook (random recipe cards and recipes cut out from newspapers and magazines), Q&EVCF is the one I've used the most, but I don't have many cookbooks to begin with. Here's my little collection, for reference. (I've only tried a few recipes from Isa Does It so far, and the bottom two I've never made anything from, lol.) 



In Q&EVCF, there's a thorough section on stocking a vegan pantry and essential kitchen tools, as well as a section on smoothies, though I haven't tried any of them. She also has a list of 65 meal ideas that combine different recipes in the book (she uses a $ to indicate meals that are less expensive), and then the heart of the cookbook begins – breakfast; side dishes; soups and salads; main courses; sauces, dips, and dressings; and desserts. Some of my favorite recipes that I've tried this year include the mushroom gravy, collard greens, banana pancakes, and veganized orange chik'n (which is probably my most favorite!).

Tonight I decided to try a new recipe from Q&EVCF – the veggie "meat" loaf. It's been a while since I've had meatloaf, but I think this turned out pretty well, plus it finally got me to find some vegan Worcestershire sauce. And referencing the suggested "quick and easy meal idea," I also made the garlic green beans and smashed potatoes (using purple potatoes!) to go along with it.





As always, here are Buttons and Leela...




Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. Nice, I have her low-fat quick and easy comfort food one, but I haven't made much from it. Unfortunately it seems the way she makes it low fat is to have teeny tiny portion sizes! So probably I should have gone with her regular cookbook.
    Sinfully Vegan... don't bother. Unless you happen to have a million dollars to spend on maple syrup. I have made one or two things from it, but it is a pretty crappy baking book compared to the other delights out there!
    If anyone out there is a Sinfully Vegan lover, I would be curious to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that's a shame that the "low-fat" one is basically just small portions, where's the fun in that?! And thanks for the tip about Sinfully Vegan; I paged through it once and was kinda ehhh about it, nothing really jumped out at me, hence why I haven't tried anything from it yet, haha! :)

      Delete
  2. How random, my best friend in primary school was Alicia Simpson! But probably not the same Alicia Simpson that wrote this book, haha. But the recipes you've mentioned sound awesome, I love food that is quick and easy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kyra! & that is a pretty funny coincidence! :D

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I don't have this cookbook and I don't think I've ever looked through it either, so it's good to read a review. I've just realised I've never made a meatloaf, but now I want to! Yours looks delicious and it looks like it makes for great leftovers (judging by your other post).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Yeah, it was hard to believe that it's taken me this long to try making a meatloaf; the leftovers have been great! :)

      Delete
  4. This books looks cool! I'm gonna have to try and find it in the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana; sounds like a plan! :D

      Delete