Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Red's Fried Chicken

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "What [insert well known person] would eat if they were vegan," and it's perfect for another Veganlist post...  

Red's Fried Chicken
[from The Blacklist, "The Major" (No. 75) (Season 2, Episode 15)]
 




 
Of everyone on The Blacklist, Red is without a doubt the biggest animal lover. He lives with a cat (S2E19, "Leonard Caul"); he is concerned about species going extinct, passionate about protecting animals from poaching, and realizes how animal exploitation is often tied closely with the exploitation of humans (S2E6, "The Mombasa Cartel"); and he sent Mr. Vargas to rescue a dog from someone who'd kept him cooped up inside without food or water (S2E4, "Dr. Linus Creel"). He's also not the biggest fan of animal testing. For example, he derides Beck for releasing a virus and selfishly synthesizing a vaccine for himself (which involved experimentation on rats) (S2E5, "The Front") and he passed on investing in a company that strove to extend human life (through animal experimentation) (S2E17, "The Longevity Initiative"). As I've veganized more and more food from The Blacklist, it's clear that once Red realizes he can eat all the food he loves, minus the harm to animals, he'll definitely consider going vegan.


I used this recipe, halved, with the chick'n from a bag of Gardein Mandarin crispy chick'n (which are now nugget-shaped? Not sure when that change occurred; I'd enjoyed the irregularly-shaped pieces but ah well, lol). They turned out great; I had some with the rest of the peppers from Tuesday, and even tried out the three dipping options (vegan ranch dressing, bbq sauce, and wing sauce) mentioned in the recipe; all of them were great with the fried chick'n. 



Here are Daisy, Cringer, Buttons, and Leela to end tonight's post...






Peace. :)

10 comments:

  1. I'm unfamiliar with the Blacklist series...I must check it out sometime.

    I remember C'est La Vegan...she doesn't seem to post much anymore. Your nuggets look good; I can't tell which ones are yours and the ones from Gardein!

    Daisy looks ready for action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! Hope you enjoy it if you get to check it out! And yes, Daisy always seems ready for action; she often pounces on toys right away whereas Cringer likes to lower herself and do a butt-wiggle before pouncing, haha! :D

      Delete
  2. Mmm, a British supermarket sold Gardrin nuggets for a short time about 6 years ago but then they disappeared. I really liked them, I wish we could get Gardein products and Soy curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll get Gardein back again sometime; they have such good stuff! :)

      Delete
  3. That recipe is so good! I miss her blog :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it took me this long to finally try it out; I'd had it bookmarked for a while & I'm so glad I finally tried it! :)

      Delete
  4. I have never watched Blacklist, but I love how you are making so much food inspired by it. :)
    The kitties are so cute, I die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan; it's been lots of fun! :D
      Hehehe!

      Delete