Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Red's Fried Egg and Bologna Sandwich

Hello, everyone! Today's prompt is "Best sandwich ever," but I've already blogged about my favorite sandwich, so I figured I would try a new one for another Veganlist post!

Red's Fried Egg and Bologna Sandwich
[from The Blacklist, "Ruslan Denisov" (No. 67) (Season 2, Episode 11)]
 
 
Red: God, I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was in Steven Bash's rec room down in the basement, eating a fried egg and bologna sandwich... 


I used this recipe for the fried egg – The Perfect Vegan Fried Egg . . . Sunny Side Up – but with a few changes (regular salt instead of kala namak salt, 2 tsp canola oil instead of 1 tsp vegan margarine and 1 tsp canola oil, and extra firm tofu instead of "firm silken" tofu). I think next time I also will use less water because the yolk didn't get solid enough; regardless, the yolk was still my favorite part of the whole sandwich! Even though the kala namak salt was noted as "essential," I'm glad I didn't stress about finding it; the yolk tasted perfect to me with regular salt. The rest of the sandwich was simple, just three slices of Tofurky bologna and a toasted English muffin.



Delicious! 



Bonus quote from the episode:
Red: My friend here is still making the bed he'll have to lie in for the rest of his life, but my bed is made, and I assure you my bed accommodates a broad spectrum of behavior.

Here's Buttons in the attic... 




And Leela looking up the stairs to the attic... 




Peace. :)

6 comments:

  1. I've never looked for kala namak either, and I like vegan eggy dishes just fine without it! This sandwich looks like a lot of fun to make (and tasty too!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! It was definitely fun to make & cut out the shapes! :)

      Delete
  2. I love those pictures of Leela! She has such big eyes! :) That fried egg looks real. Very cool sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! & yes, she does indeed have big eyes; the better to look super cute with! :)

      Delete
  3. The sandwich looks great! :) I live fairly close to a spice store, if you ever want to try kala namak let me know and I can send you some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer, Elyse! I'll search a bit more around here & if I still can't find it, I'll let you know! :D

      Delete