Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Red's Sausage and Peppers

Hello everyone! Today's prompt – "Make a dish using all seasonal produce" – was another perfect Veganlist opportunity.  

Red's Sausage and Peppers
[from The Blacklist, "The Front" (No. 74) (Season 2, Episode 5)]
 
 
Red: My weakness is sausage and peppers.


I used this recipe for the sausage, but left out the fennel because I really don't care for it. I referenced the Seasonal Food Guide, and the mushrooms, onions, garlic, black-eyed peas, and tomatoes (tomato paste) are all in season.




After steaming the sausages, I unwrapped one and baked it at 350°F with sliced yellow, orange, and red peppers (also in season, with a bit of salt and pepper) for 10 min.



The peppers were perfect and the sausage was delicious, if a bit soft (which I expected since I didn't have time to let it cool & refrigerate it), and had enough spice in it without being overwhelming. Overall, this turned out fantastic; while making the sausages by hand was time-intensive, it was definitely worth it.




Bonus quotes from the episode:
Beck: Who the hell are you?
Red: I'm the snake in the grass.

And of course, here are Buttons, Leela, Cringer, and Daisy.






Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know gluten free sausage recipes existed so I am excited to find this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Definitely give the recipe a try when you get the chance! :D

      Delete
  2. Sausage and peppers is one of my favorite dishes! This looks yummy.

    Interesting recipe for the sausages too...I'm definitely going to try it.

    The kitties are adorable as always...Daisy looks pretty blissed out, so she must be settling in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! Hope you enjoy the recipe when you try it! Haha, yes indeed; they both seem to have settled in now -- they've been having fun playing and finding comfy spaces to relax & curl up in! :)

      Delete
  3. I love sausage and peppers too!!!!! I love it with pasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana; sausage & peppers would certainly be great with pasta! :)

      Delete