Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Rice-a-Roni

Hello everyone! Today's prompt – "Most retro recipe" – required research, so I found this cool site called the Food Timeline. I skimmed through it, and something jumped out at me: Rice-a-Roni, introduced in 1958, and a familiar food during my own childhood. Perfect! 


I used this recipe, making it vegan by using Earth Balance butter; additionally, instead of the 14 ounces broth + 1 tsp vegetarian broth powder, I did 1 ½ cups water + 1 tsp Massel's (salt reduced) vegan "chicken style" bouillon powder. I also used instant long grain white rice instead of regular, so it came together really quick. At the end, I added a chopped-up Lightlife smart dog for nostalgia's sake, as well as salt and pepper to taste.



Overall, it turned out pretty well, but in the future, I'll add salt to the actual recipe. (And I'll also take the extra time to break the pasta into smaller pieces since they were a bit long.)





Here are the cuties, Buttons and Leela... 




Peace. :)

14 comments:

  1. Adorable kitties! And that dish looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost forgot about Rice-A-Roni! Now I'm trying to remember my favorite. I remember it being chicken flavored haha. Wow that really takes me back. I may need to make something like this soon. Good choice for retro recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! Yeah, the chicken flavor was always my favorite, too! :)

      Delete
  3. What cutie pie kitties!
    I think I did make rice-a-roni once from one of my vegan cookbooks, but not something that we grew up eating. I think adding a hot dog is a nice touch, and makes everything a little more retro. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Haha, yeah, the added hot dog definitely made it even more retro! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link to the food time line!
    I'd heard of rice-a-roni but I'd never actually seen a recipe. Looks like something I would have loved if I'd known about when I was a kid too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I was so excited when I found the food timeline; it seems so thorough, and the parts I read were really interesting! :D

      Delete
  5. Oh yes! Great post for Retro Day indeed! Niiice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of rice-a-roni but that looks delish, especially with the hot dog pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie! It definitely was delicious! :)

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of rice a roni- but I think it's going to be on my menu plan soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it whenever you try it! :)

      Delete