Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Spaetzle

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is "Veganize an old family recipe," so I decided to try making spaetzle. I'd wanted to for a while, but never got around to it; this was the perfect opportunity. 


I halved this recipe
(the nutmeg seemed like a weird ingredient, but I included it anyway), and everything came together easily.




I had some of the spaetzle with Gardein fishless fillets and sliced carrots, topping the spaetzle with a bit of soy sauce (well, Bragg liquid aminos) like my mom does. They tasted pretty good but the nutmeg ended up being a bit too weird. I'll leave that out when I make them again, especially since I don't remember nutmeg being in the recipe my mom uses.



And now, here's the long-awaited answer as to who was inside the carrier yesterday...


Daisy...

...and Cringer!

They are staying with us while Zach's parents are occupied with moving. Daisy and Cringer are sisters, and Buttons used to live with them before we adopted her. We want them to get settled first, so there hasn't been a reunion yet.

Buttons wants to know why she can't get into “her” attic anymore.



Leela's not too concerned.



Peace. :)

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They say hello back to you in little chirps! :)

      Delete
  2. Spaetzle! I made it once, years ago, but haven't had it since being vegan!

    Kitties are gorgeous as ever :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had spatezle, in fact I must admit I had to google what it is. Mmm, sounds like perfect Autumn comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; it's definitely great comfort food! :)

      Delete
  4. I've never had spaetzle, but they look yummy!

    Visiting kitties, what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! It's quite fun to have kitties visit! :D

      Delete
  5. Daisy's adorable face!!! She looks like such a little lady. Too cute. I've never had spatezle, but I've wanted to try it for forever. I guess it wasn't that common in my family's side of Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy is seriously so adorable & super photogenic (if she can hold still long enough, haha!). My mom usually just makes spaetzle on the holidays; we're planning to test out this recipe together sometime, so that should be fun! :)

      Delete
  6. Funny about Nutmeg...I have been using it in just about EVERYTHING these days! It adds just a little sumpin'-sumpin'!
    http://MyBlissfulJourney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, normally I like nutmeg (especially since it's such a "fall-y" spice), but it was just odd in the spaetzle, haha! :)

      Delete