Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Wrapping Up 2015

Hello everyone, and best wishes for a happy new year! Last week, I tried the Vegan Horseradish Macaroni and Cheese from My cat loves Daiya!, with some changes [regular mustard, no horseradish (didn't have any), Daiya instead of Chao, and a bunch of whole wheat angel hair spaghetti] since I was trying to work with what I had on hand and use up some ingredients. It turned out really well; I was especially happy because the spaghetti hadn't tasted good in anything else, but it worked perfectly in this dish! 


I enjoyed some of the leftovers with Morningstar hickory bbq riblets, which was a great combination. I'll definitely get the riblets again; they were delicious! 




Random chocolate & mint goodness – here are the yummy Sjaaks' mint mills that I ordered from Vegan Essentials. Zach tried one, too, and liked it. I'll be sure to order these again next year for Christmas! 



And the new recipe I tried yesterday was the Vegan Chicken Pot Pie with a Flaky Phyllo Crust from Luminous Vegans. Here, the phyllo dough was the ingredient that I was trying to use up, and it was a bit more fragile than the first time I'd worked with it, so it broke apart at the one end, leaving the ends too short to fold completely over. So, I just layered the broken ends and another sheet on top for the crust instead.




It turned out good, not great, but I had some of the leftovers tonight and it was better. I think next time I just need to add a bit more salt and pepper (I always add too little when a recipe says “add to taste”).

Peace. :)

6 comments:

  1. The cheese pasta looks great. What is it about cheesy pasta and BBQ protein that goes so well together? A perfect match. :)
    Hope you had a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! It really is a perfect match! Hope you've been enjoying the new year so far! :)

      Delete
  2. Gotta love vegan mac 'n' cheese! I wonder if it would work with spaghetti squash? Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! Spaghetti squash sounds like a great idea! I hope the new year has been treating you well! :)

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you posted that rib photo! I use to love them, and then I just assumed they weren't vegan! The photo of the mac and cheese kind-of looks like an uncooked ramen packet, and oddly that isn't an insult! Some how that makes it look super amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Yep, the riblets are one of Morningstar's few vegan products -- I can't believe they don't make more vegan stuff; they are obviously good at it! And I definitely see what you are saying about the pasta looking like ramen, haha! :)

      Delete