Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Tofu Scramble Mix

Hello everyone! This week I decided to try out Phoney Baloney's tofu scramble mix that I'd gotten from Vegan Essentials. The ingredients are: black salt (kala namak), nutritional yeast, black pepper, and spices. 


I simply cooked the broken-up tofu (extra firm) in some vegetable oil and then added the seasoning at the end. It definitely had an “eggy” smell (which was a nice nostalgic touch, though kinda weird at first), and it tasted great. I think I'll have to look into getting black salt after all so I can make my own version of this seasoning. 


Served with toast and Lightlife Smart Bacon (cooked with some added hickory liquid smoke).



Here's Leela and Cringer sharing the bed earlier this week... 



Best wishes for a happy first day of spring (or fall) tomorrow!

Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. I have a little packet of this in cupboard that I brought home from my last US trip. How much tofu did you use for it?
    I just made a scrambled Vegan Egg (the new Follow Your Heart product) for breakfast and it was OK, but tofu scramble is still my preference!

    It's actually been autumn here for almost three weeks (we start on the 1st of March), but the weather thinks it is still summer. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used one block of tofu (14 oz). I was worried the little seasoning packet wouldn't be enough but it was just the right amount! :)
      Oooh, I still need to try the Vegan Egg, though from what I've seen/read about it, I think I'm still going to prefer tofu scramble as well!
      Hopefully it starts feeling like autumn for you soon! We've had some warm days here and there, but it's cold today & we may even get a tiny bit of snow overnight! :O

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip, I wasn't sure if 375g/14oz would be too much, or if I should got for the 250g/8oz block. I will scramble some up soon!
      It is still 30 degrees or more (celcius!) every day, but the mornings are definitely cooler. So hope is there. ;)

      Delete
    3. Awesome; hope you enjoy it! :)
      Good to hear; today we're at 75 degrees F, so it's definitely heating up!

      Delete
  2. I love that scramble seasoning! I rarely use it since I always have black salt on hand, but it's good. You should for sure get some black salt for your pantry. It's so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! :) I'm definitely looking into getting some black salt; I think I'll have to order it because the only thing I've seen in stores is "Hawaiian black salt," which isn't the same thing as kala namak.

      Delete
  3. I won black salt at a potluck awhile back and it makes a huge different with scrambles. It really gives a good flavour. It's nice that there is a packaged mix out there, I'll have to give a try =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat that you won some black salt! The packaged mix is very convenient and certainly convinced me of the awesomeness of black salt! :)

      Delete