Pages

Monday, October 31, 2016

New Foods in September and October

Hello everyone, and Happy Halloween! Here are the harvest dinners and new foods I've tried in the past two months. First up is a yummy bowl with garden veggies -- cucumber, snow peas, and carrots -- and some waffle fries, broccoli, and more (non-garden) carrots.


Next we have Ben & Jerry's P.B. & Cookies ice cream; it was pretty good!





I also enjoyed the Peanut Butter Zig Zag ice cream by So Delicious...





I tried another fruit spread; it was good on peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, but not my favorite of all the ones I tried.



Next up are three different frozen dinner bowls. First I had the Kashi Black Bean Mango Bowl, but it wasn't that great.



Served with garden cucumber & cherry tomatoes.

The Morningstar Thai Yellow Curry was good.



Served with garden cherry tomatoes.

Finally, Amy's brown rice and vegetables bowl was my favorite of the three.




I made a yummy chocolate zucchini cake with a zucchini from Zach's mom. This version had all-purpose flour.



And here's the second of my chocolate zucchini cakes, this one made with whole-wheat flour and quite delicious as well.



With so many cherry tomatoes, I could barely eat them fast enough, so I made spinach and tomato linguine, a recipe that required 3 cups of diced tomatoes!



I tried out Tofurky's Barbecue Slow-Roasted Chick'n and had it with Smoky Nacho Fries (recipe from the September/October 2016 VegNews). This was a really good, but certainly spicy, combination!





Served with garden cucumber.

I bought this pumpkin chai mix from Pureblend Tea at the Phoenixville Farmer's Market; it was good, but I still prefer my rooibos chai from Numi this time of year.



Another farmer's market purchase was the vegan mushroom chili from the HEART food truck; it was really good!



Zach and I made another visit to the Great American Pub on Bridge Street because we wanted to sit at the glider tables again before it got too cold. This time I ordered the vegan carrot dogs (2 pita "buns" with carrot dogs and toppings, plus vegetable chips), and they were so good! Pictured are my leftovers, which I had the next day.





Zach also suggested we try out some new waffles; these were really good, with raspberry syrup.




This noodle cup was kinda meh; it's definitely one where you need to add in some of your own ingredients. But when I'm having a soup cup, I'm already feeling lazy, so I don't want to have to add anything more.




These kale chips were pretty good, but most of them got super crumbled and broken up. Still tasty, though.



Another soup cup; this one I really liked, but then it had a weird and very persistent aftertaste haha.




And here's the first of several goodies I got from Grocery Outlet; my mom and I went one day when she came to visit. Cringer, of course, needed to inspect these kale chips. I liked them, but again, it was less chips and more crumbs.





Another awesome Grocery Outlet find were three variations of empanadas by Candle Cafe. The plantain & black bean ones were really good...






The chipotle vegetable ones were good, too, but obviously more spicy... 



Creepin' Cringer *sniff sniff*


The chili tempeh vegetable ones were also really good!





Again from Grocery Outlet, the Beanfields ranch chips were OK; I really liked the ranch flavoring, but the actual chip was kinda meh.




Last but not least, another kale chip variety from Grocery Outlet -- this one was my favorite because it had nice big, hearty chips, and the flavoring, while spicy, was really, really good!



Whew, long post is done! Vegan MoFo begins tomorrow, and I think I'm pretty well-prepared. NaNoWriMo, on the other hand, well, let's just say I still have absolutely no idea what I am going to write a 50,000-word novel about! :O But I'll worry about that later; it's time to grab a quick dinner before the trick-or-treaters arrive!


Peace. :)

6 comments:

  1. You've been eating so much delicious stuff that I don't even know where to start! Firstly your zucchini loaves look amazing, I need to get back into baking, I miss it! I'm also going to be keeping an eye out for that Tofurky, they've recently started selling stuff over here but I don't think I've spotted that type yet. Finally I feel like you need to pair those waffles with the so delicious ice cream, I suspect that it would be the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've been seeing so many new Tofurky products; it's really exciting! Ahhh, that is an awesome idea of serving the waffles with So Delicious ice cream; I definitely need to try that! :D

      Delete
  2. I agree with you so much about the soup cups, and not wanting to have to add anything. It kind of defeats the purpose.
    I've always wondered about the Kashi mango/black bean bowl. I've never wanted to take a risk because they're not that cheap! I'd rather buy vegan Ben&Jerry's!
    Yay that Morningstar farms makes a vegan bowl. I wish they would make more vegan food, I enjoyed their stuff as a vegetarian.
    I miss Grocery Outlet soo much, it hurts my heart. I also tried the Candle Cafe tempeh empanadas and they were sooo delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I only bought the bowls because I had coupons and they were on sale; I'm especially glad that I didn't buy the Kashi one full-price haha!
      Last weekend, I found a new vegan Morningstar product, steak strips (https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/morningstar-farms-steak-strips-product.html), so I'm looking forward to trying them for a MoFo post next week! :D
      I also got a lentil soup mix from Grocery Outlet, but I haven't tried it yet!

      Delete
  3. So many goodies! And your cats are so cute investigating all the new things. XD

    One day I might venture all the way out to Grocery Outlet. There isn't any in New Jersey, and the closest one is in PA.

    I feel your cherry tomato pains! My CSA always has an abundance of them. They are so tasty but sometimes they just don't last that long. My husband doesn't like them cooked that much so it makes it harder to use them up. You could always try making a savory tomato pie with them next year (er... a southern style where you make a pie crust, not a pizza)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Yep, the kitties always want to inspect the food, haha!
      Grocery Outlet was pretty neat, especially since I was able to find things I'd never seen anywhere else. That's a shame there aren't any in New Jersey!
      Hmmm, the savory tomato pie is quite intriguing... I just looked up some recipes & it sounds pretty good! I'll have to remember that for next year! :)

      Delete