Pages

Friday, November 25, 2016

Mac & Cheese

Hi everyone! Today's Vegan MoFo prompt is: Vegan Memories – What was your first vegan meal? Or the one you remember the most? I don't really remember what my first intentionally vegan meal was, but I do remember my first (failed) attempt at vegan mac & cheese. The recipe I'd found had called for way too much nutritional yeast; the final product was not appetizing to me as a new vegan. It was kinda discouraging, but thankfully by my first Vegan MoFo (November 2010), I'd discovered Daiya cheese; eventually, I learned to appreciate nutritional yeast again, and I've made some great mac & cheeses in the meantime. So tonight, in memory of my first vegan mac & cheese, I tried a new recipe from My cat loves Daiya!; I knew this one would be a success!




It turned out absolutely amazing; I seriously wish I'd had this recipe when I first went vegan!
If you've been looking for a new mac & cheese recipe, be sure to give it a try! My only modification was that I used Chao (creamy original) slices because I couldn't find FYH American slices.

Here's a sleepy Buttons from earlier today...




Peace. :)

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm blushing! I'm so happy you liked it! I bet Chao is amazing in this recipe. I will have to try it with Chao for sure! I remember my first vegan mac and cheese experience was very similar to yours. The recipe used way to much nutritional yeast. It almost turned me off of nutritional yeast and mac and cheese!
    Buttons is so cute! She looks to be a tortie like my Roxie! Roxie definitely has a little tortitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for sharing the recipe; the leftovers were great as well! :) It definitely took me a while to come around to nutritional yeast after that first time!
      Yep, Buttons does seem to have tortitude sometimes, hehe!

      Delete
  2. You lost me at "too much nutritional yeast"! Actually, it took me ages to come around to vegan cheese and the nooch flavour, so I know what you mean, and I applaud you for jumping straight in with a mac'n'cheese early on in your vegan experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I know, now I love nutritional yeast and "too much" seems so silly! :)

      Delete
  3. Yum, yum. Hilary is definitely the Queen of vegan mac n cheese and I shall have to try that recipe next. I tried a new one to me that was cashew and Nooch based and it was really bland. Then I remembered how H adds vegan cheese and I added some Violife pizza flavour and a little Violife Parmesan and it was transformed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is! Definitely be sure to give her recipe a try! :)

      Delete
  4. Awww, Buttons is so cute and that mac & cheese looks killer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute Buttons! Mac and cheese is so great, glad you didn't get turned off by that first bad recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! :) Agreed; I really would have been missing out on so many amazing vegan mac and cheeses if I had let that one recipe discourage me back then!

      Delete