Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Poppy's Corn & Mac Bake

Hello everyone! Today's prompt is: How to make friends – What’s your go-to “impress me” meal? My grandfather's corn & mac bake was an impressive & yummy holiday dish when I was younger, so for dinner tonight, I decided to make my veganized version, which Zach enjoys as well. Prior to tonight, the last time I made this was for a potluck with Zach's soccer friends, several of whom have children. It was a hit with everyone, but especially the little kids, who upon seeing all the food laid out, immediately zeroed in on my contribution, yelling "MAC AND CHEESE!" 


Poppy's Corn & Mac Bake, veganized
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 can corn kernels (don't drain)
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 1 stick melted vegan butter/margarine (I use Earth Balance)
  • 1 cup vegan cheddar, shredded (I use Daiya)
  • 1 cup elbow macaroni (cooked)
Directions: Mix all ingredients in a baking dish and bake at 350°F until bubbly and set, stirring a few times in between.

So, to sum up, Poppy's corn & mac bake is an impressive meal because:

  • it's a crowd-pleaser at holidays and potlucks, even with kids and nonvegans 
  • it's super simple to make 
  • it can stand alone or be part of a bigger meal 
  • the leftovers are delicious 


Today's cute kitty is Leela, soaking up the sunshine.


Peace. :)

10 comments:

  1. Mac and cheese is the best! It's so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed; it's perfect comfort food! :)

      Delete
  2. That looks so good! I haven't had creamed corn since I was little. I've never thought to add corn to mac and cheese! This definitely is impressive! My kitties have been fighting over the sun spots lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; it's a great combination! :) I've caught Cringer & Daisy cuddling in the sun spots a couple times, but Buttons and especially Leela aren't much for sharing the sunshine haha!

      Delete
  3. I love a good mac and cheese and yours sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, this sounds amazing! I love creamed corn. Adding it to mac and cheese? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan; the creamed corn is so good in this! :)

      Delete
  5. Never heard of this concept. Talk about carbs ^__~ I am not sure how I feel about the corn and cheese combo... one day I will be brave enough. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, carbs are the best! Corn & cheese is a bit of an odd combo, but it really is delicious! :)

      Delete