Pages

Saturday, March 25, 2017

White Bean and Cabbage Soup (Plant Based Living)

Hi everyone! This week I tried the White Bean and Cabbage Soup from Plant Based Living. I haven't made soup in a while, and now that it is finally spring, I figured I should have some before it warms up too much. The soup turned out really well; it was simple to make and very tasty. 


The leftovers are great, too; I've been adding some orzo to make the soup a bit more filling.



Here are Buttons, Cringer, and Daisy being sunshine kitties. Daisy decided to get even closer to the other two when she noticed I was taking pictures, hehe!





Protest reflection time! The protest this Tuesday was small, but right near the end, a man got agitated enough by our few signs ("Resist," "Phoenixville loves our immigrant community," and "Refugees are welcome here") that he decided to pull his car over, park, and approach our group of mostly women to demand that we explain to him why we were protesting. He could clearly read our signs, so his angry insistence that we explain ourselves made it clear that he was looking for a fight. The two women and I didn't engage, but the one man in the group decided to argue with him, loudly and right behind us, which was rather uncomfortable. I mean, I could have easily seen this coming to blows. We moved a few steps away from the confrontation, but it wasn't long before we noticed the time and had to call it a day anyway.


Apart from this guy's repeated "I'm a Christian, I believe in Jesus Christ" (he apparently thinks Jesus would turn away refugees and deport immigrants), he kept insisting that "Trump is just trying to protect us." 


Who is "us"? My definition of "us" includes refugees and immigrants, so there is no way Trump can protect us with things like the Muslim ban, raids, and deportations. I hope that the presence of our little group made this guy realize that not everyone has given in to fear and xenophobia. He may have, but we haven't. 

Who knows, maybe one day, he'll decide he doesn't want to be afraid anymore, either.


Peace. :)

14 comments:

  1. ugh, nothing drives me more nuts than Christians who are for the ban. It seems so un-Christian to be pro-ban.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks so delicious. I like broth-y soups, and I love white beans. Orzo is such a great soup pasta! I wish I ate more of it before going gluten free.
    I so agree with Jennifer. It's funny how un- Christian many Christians are. And also how angry a lot of them are. To quote our agent orange in charge, SAD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and sunbathing kitties are the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunbathing kitties make everything better! :D

      Delete
  4. I agree with the above comments and I will leave it at that. Each and every time DAILY I hear about this sort of MADNESS it makes my blood boil. And apparently 'we' are the 'evil ones' because we are 'liberal'???? Whatever...OYE!

    Anyhow...the soup looks AWESOME!!!! I can almost SMELL it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! P.S. I made your tater tot casserole this week & it was great! :D

      Delete
  5. I love the trio of kitties in perfect formation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always cheers me up to find them all spread out in the sunshine! :)

      Delete
  6. Ugh, people are loons. Cute kitties as always, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah; the kitties are very dependably cute! :)

      Delete