Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Rice Paper Bacon

Hi everyone! I know I’m late to the party, but this week I finally made rice paper bacon! It was one of the recipes at the Vegan Pledge cooking demo back in March, so I got a taste of it then, and I could not believe how amazing it was – it’s seriously the most bacon-y of all vegan bacons I have tried! So having seen how it was done, I decided this week to make a batch myself. 


I used several slices (broken in half) in a vegan bacon, egg, & cheese sandwich on a toasted bagel. (The egg was sliced tofu with turmeric & kala namak, which I baked for around 20 minutes, flipping once. The cheese was a slice of Chao tomato cayenne.) It was so good! 



Here’s Daisy being a loaf kitty on the computer this morning. 



On Thursday we did some sidewalk chalk art in town to spread the word about May 1 (Un Día Sin Inmigrantes / A Day Without Immigrants). It was really fun; it’s been a while since I’ve worked with chalk, haha! Several people got upset with us even though A) chalk easily washes away and B)
borough codes regarding “defacement” and “graffiti” (which is what people were accusing us of doing) state that there is no prohibition on the use of chalk. Friday afternoon, a fellow activist reported that someone had washed it all away. On the positive side, lots of people got to see our art before it was removed!

Peace. :)

10 comments:

  1. I need to make the rice paper bacon! I have so much rice paper, and I don't like it as much as I use to. Plus my husband hates the stuff. Womp womp.

    Stinks about the chalk but at least it was up for sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I'd never used rice paper before, so I was glad that it worked out so well! :)

      Delete
  2. Mmm, I love rice paper bacon! It's just so good. It's a shame people weren't happy with your chalktivism - there's quite a lot of pro-vegan chalking in Manchester (though I've only seen it on Facebook, never in person), it's such a good way of spreading a message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rice paper bacon is the best! That's great that there's vegan chalking being done! :D

      Delete
  3. I have never made or had rice paper bacon, such a terrible vegan! I also haven't actually used aquafaba yet. Worst vegan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're not alone with the aquafaba -- I still haven't used it, either!

      Delete
  4. I still have yet to try and make that rice paper bacon, too! Looks fun, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer; it's certainly fun to make!

      Delete
  5. I remember I made rice paper bacon once and couldn't believe how great it was! I definitely think it looks the most realistic too! Your sandwich looks really delicious.
    People are the worst. I'm glad your chalking got to stay up for awhile, but so sorry people had a problem with it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does look the most realistic! I've already picked up more chalk in preparation for the next chalk art outing, haha! :D

      Delete